Humming Bird 160F 12-string

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianz

Reaction score
I recently bought my second Tokai, this time it's a 160F 12-string labelled "Humming Bird" which appears to date from the 70's or thereabouts. It needs a new set of tuners as the old owner ran it as a 6-string for a long time but is otherwise in pretty good condition - and I paid very little so I'm happy to get the work done.

It's a 2-piece solid top and has a one-piece back (I was surprised at this but it's definitely a single piece of wood). It has a zero fret and a height-adjustable bridge. The neck is huge and baseball-bat like and the guitar has a big, authoritative sound. I'm really looking forward to getting it fully strung up!

I'm drawing a bit of a blank searching for more info on the 160F, does anyone else have one or know anything? I found an ebay auction for one and some info about a 150F that looks similar. Also I looked through the catalogs on this site and found some similar beasts but the scans are too low-res to read anything.

(oh, the first Tokai I bought is a 1984-era Goldstar in an unusual light metallic blue, it has the II-V pickups and is very much blues-approved).

Cheers,

Julian.

Nice guitars, here is mine.

008.jpg

Yep that's almost identical, mine has a different shape on the bridge though. You've reminded me that I need to get it out again, it's been in the case since moving house.

Hi

I dont know if you will ever see this reply, as your post is now 5 years old! Just wanted to say thanks for posting that picture. I bought a 12 string Hummingbird in a market pretty cheap. and was beginning to wonder if it was truly a Hummingbird at all, since it is so different from the pics I have seen on the net, but when you posted that picture I was relieved. Mine is identical to yours. Mine also has the label inside but no name on the headstock. Maybe it came off? Seems hard to believe there never was one. Anyway, it is a wonderful guitar. Good luck to you. Regards
Al

Back