80s Cat's Eyes CE400

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philosopher

Reaction score
Hi there.
Has any of you any experience of the Cat's Eyes acoustics from the 80s? I've found a good online deal on a CE400 in very good condition and I was wondering how would that sound.

Thanks

i have a nice collection of cat's eyes including a ce400, it is a great guitar, nice bright sound and all the martin tones are there, all my cat's eyes are from the early 80's and most are in mint condition, i think a lot of these were bought in japan and probably never played much, but i also have a few that have been played a lot and they have stood the test of time well

if you have found a good deal go for it, if the guitar is in good condition then you will not be disappointed, i think i paid about ?400 for my ce400 about 14 months go, i probably paid full price so it probably cannot be classed as a bargin, but i am still very happy...great guitar

The Cat's eyes accoustics from the CE400 and up-over are really great guitars, but one thing to be careful of is that, as with a lot of acoustics that are 30 years old, is movement of the wood.

This normally results in a 'belly swell' and a very high action, the only way to correct this is either shaving the saddle (not ideal) or re-setting the neck, both a job for a pro.

If you can find one that plays with a nice low action it should be good for years to come.

They sound fantastic, I used to have a CE400 that totally blew away my Martin that cost 5 times as much!

Latest posts

Back