Tokai vs. Hondo ll ????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobebru

Reaction score
Guys : I've just starting playing again after about a fifteen year break. I have not kept up with latest news regarding vintage Japanese guitars etc..
I have a Hondo ll, Les Paul copy, made in Japan in 1979 or possibly 1980, at the latest. I bought the guitar new, played it for a few years and stored it in a closet , with loose strings until now. Just got too busy with a new family etc..
How does this guitar stack up to a Tokai (of basically the same vintage) in quality of construction, playability, electronic components and pick-up quality (I honestly don't know if my Hondo ll has Dimarzio pickups or not; they are Humbuckers)?
I know this forum is dedicated to primarily Tokai, vintage electric guitars, but I would really appreciatiate the collective's thoughts on the primary differences in the Tokai and Hondo ll. Please be candid...and thank you for taking the time to forward your opinion.
Bruce H.
PS: I'd like to go through this guitar and spend some money on some upgrades, if it is worth it.

It depends on the model of HondoII that you have...does it have a set neck?
Some didn't.
Not all had Dimarzios.
That's not necesarily a bad thing coz My 1984 LS120 has stock MarkII PAF's and it sounds brilliant.
I have played plenty of HondoII's...the Aussie market was flooded with them at one stage and finish/feel/appearance and soundwise they do not match up to MY Tokai...nor a Greco...nor an Edwards but may be closer to a Burny.

I had a Hondo II Professional years ago, it was not very good at all! Definetely not up with a Japanese Tokai, new or old.

Hi, I don't know which Hondo II you have and I am aware they may be different models so please don't be offended by my comments.

I learnt to play on a Hondo II les paul I bought new around 79\80. (I no longer have it). By chance I saw an identical one on a s\h market stall a little while ago. I have to say that it reminded me just how bad some guitars of that era were, made of plywood, single coil pickups behind the humbucker covers, poorly spaced nut, dodgy frets, awful tbh.

I have 2 Tokai's from the same era an ls80 reborn and an ls50 love rock. They are are so much better in my opinion they can't really be compared with the Hondo II I owned.

Basically if you really want to put $300+ worth of pickups in a plywood body go right ahead...nothing we say here will sway you.
But our opinion is that even in Hondo's wildest wet dreams they in no way come near the quality of a Tokai...even the Chinese built models are superior and I've played Hondo's AND the chinese built Tokai.

Not all the guitars from Japan made in 70's/early 80's are good.You have to know which ones are the good ones.Regarding Tokain even "low" end ones are good being the high end ones fantastics!
Here in Spain MIJ guitars had and still have bad rant for some people and while some are not good enough there are some brands and models which you can trust on if in good condition.I?m talking about japanese made guitars.
There have been a lot of enquires here about obscure brands hoping to be good guitars but they aren?t....

Ozeshin said:
Basically if you really want to put $300+ worth of pickups in a plywood body go right ahead...nothing we say here will sway you.
But our opinion is that even in Hondo's wildest wet dreams they in no way come near the quality of a Tokai...even the Chinese built models are superior and I've played Hondo's AND the chinese built Tokai.

Sorry to ressurect an old one by I can't resist.
I was just searching for info on my Hondo that was supposedly built at the Tokai factory in Japan when i stumbled upon this thread... So either I am misinformed or Hondo musta had one hell of a wet dream :)

Either way, my Hondo II Professional Strat is certainly NOT plywood! and upgrades? who needs 'em? this thing rocks.

well maybe the tuners...

Are Hondos anything like the old Avons?

Such a shame that nobody has posted any pics in this thread....

:roll:

Mike

stratman323 said:

Mike

dangit Mike you've drawn me out :wink:

I dunno what we are supposed to be comparing here, but I'll video my 'bad boy' Hondo II tonight with my band and youtubage will follow.
8)

podman said:
Ozeshin said:

Sorry to ressurect an old one by I can't resist.
I was just searching for info on my Hondo that was supposedly built at the Tokai factory in Japan when i stumbled upon this thread... So either I am misinformed or Hondo musta had one hell of a wet dream :)

Either way, my Hondo II Professional Strat is certainly NOT plywood! and upgrades? who needs 'em? this thing rocks.

well maybe the tuners...
The original poster (2 years ago by the way)was asking for a comparison between HIS HondoII LES PAUL copy and a Tokai LS Model.
SOME Hondo's ARE decent guitars but I will put my vintage LS80 over ANY HondoII LP model anyday..!!!!
And yes...I HAVE played many MANY HondoII...they were dime a dozen here in Australia.

mirrorboy said:
stratman323 said:

Mike

dangit Mike you've drawn me out :wink:

I dunno what we are supposed to be comparing here, but I'll video my 'bad boy' Hondo II tonight with my band and youtubage will follow.
8)
Even over YOUR black beast m8 :p
I remember when you bought it :D

I don't know if i was supposed to be shamed into posting pics or if you guys are having some fun at my expense. You Australians can have a pretty wicked sense of humor and I am afraid it stumps me sometimes...

But I will post some pics if they are of any interest to anyone.

DSC01311.JPG

DSC01308.JPG

DSC01310.JPG

DSC01312.JPG

DSC01313.JPG

DSC01314.JPG

DSC01315.JPG

Anyway, I hope I didn't rub you fellas wrong, dredging up this old thread and taking issue with it.

I had always heard how crappy Hondos were and then I had this one thrown in my lap and being very impressed with it, i found it difficult to remain silent when one the few sources referencing it were giving what i see as an unfavorable view.

I live in the US and a Google search only provided a handful of hits on this model of guitar and this thread was number seven... What I see regarding the guitar is that if people aren't calling it junk they are praising it. I do think there is something more to than a simple hit and miss production... but that is an intuitive leap on my part.

So anyway, thanks for your time and if you want some Youtubage with a Hondo II Professional here is one... but I warn you, this guy's got a potty mouth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0MAKdT0B80

Oze is right with what he said about the ones we got in Aus, they were plywood pieces of sh1t but the Tokai versions i have heard nothing but good things said about them. And yes we have a weird sense of humour so don't take it personal, Ozeshin is a born sh1t stirrer..... :wink:

Mick

Latest posts

Back