Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is It a ST60 or a ST80?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:
Hi guys,
this guitar is an ST-50 YSOR. It's the 'U' that gives it away, in that Goldstar sounds had different pickup letters for ST-50's and ST-60's - Springysounds did not.
It has an obvious Alder body, 1963 radius fingerboard and square string tree, but on an ST-60 Goldstar, the pickups are stamped "V'.

regards
Peter mac

I know that the ST-80 has the 2 piece center seam body but does the ST-60 also have this same feature?

I am curious to know why so many ST-50 models have 3 piece bodies, while I have seen just a small hand full have the center seam 2 piece, such as the example I have?

Is it possible that Tokai used the 2 piece center seam bodies from the higher spec ST-60 & ST-80 models, for just a very few examples of the ST-50, by mistake?

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have seen there are some exceptions to the rule in Tokais and a "lower" model sometimes have higher specs than it should according catalogs but it?s not ususal. Mike(javelin70) stated he got a LS-50 Love Rock over other guitars because it was a really good guitar.

Just trust what Peter says, he has seen(inspected) so many Tokais and not Tokais old guitars to be knowledge enough....

Saying that, I was lucky to try a '78 Reborn LS-60(but different branded),a 1979 Les Paul Reborn LS-80 and a 1981 Love Rock LS-50.Each was different and LS-80 was the best of the 3,being LS-60 second best.LS-50 whereas good,lacked bottom end(because multipiece back and top).....But I feel 2003 LS-320 better and my main prefference when choosing Tokai.
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis, peter makes some valid points, although I'm not real sure about the pissing contests, losing value, & the Harleys..............

What I am interested in the most is the fact that nearly all of the sunburst Goldstars I see that have the U stamped pickups, 9 of 10 or even more, have at least a 3 piece body

So, I go back to my observation; why so many U stamped pickup equipped Goldstars with 3 or more piece bodies, and conversely, why so few of the very same U stamped pickup equipped Goldstars with a 2 piece center seam body?

I am only looking for input from those with the knowledge; looking for valid theories here..........not frivilous comments..............

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

Last edited by MIJvintage on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ochay
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 15 of the goldstars hangin on the wall right now- I'm gonna check um and post what I find-
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochay wrote:
I have 15 of the goldstars hangin on the wall right now- I'm gonna check um and post what I find-

cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a couple of higher end Goldstars on ebay recently to compare this one to. I didn't catch this one in time (muttered curses....):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230229538654&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:GB:1123
If it does actually have a V-neck it's probably a TST-80--duosonic from the forum won this, so if he's reading maybe he can tell us about it!

and then there was John's from the forum:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Goldstar-TST80-Strat-like-springy-sound_W0QQitemZ120222925784QQihZ002QQcategoryZ112670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
with U pickups, a V-neck and nitro finish--there was a whole other post on this one:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10167

I have a similar Goldstar that I believe is a TST-50 (no sticker)-- GS nitro finish, U-neck and U-stamped pickups. Body is alder, and maple neck. I don't have any photos of mine, but I'll take some and post them soon. It's truly an amazing guitar and as good or better than my higher end Springys.

There was a Springy model listed in the Japan Vintage magazine (page 15 on the right side)

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/gothamcitydrugstore/Japan%20Vintage%20vol2%20Springy%20Sound/

that has an ST-80 model body with a U neck--I wonder if this is a similar phenomenon....?
________
VAPORIZER

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshirecat, the one chingo had listed looks like a 2 piece center seam body & it has E stamped pups BUT it has a pot metal/zinc block

John A's listing states center seam body, has U stamped pups, but is listed as a ST-80

My Goldy has the 2 piece/center seam body, U stamped pups, and a steel block w/Final Prospect saddles

the similarities are not exact, just similar .....................

I am thinking that my Goldy has a ST-60 or higher spec body but definitely has the U stamped pups, previously stated here as belonging to the ST-50

duosonic
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chingo's guitar was parted together: a 1980 ST80 body, and a later ST50 Goldstar neck...
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MIJ,
Does your Goldstar have a nitrocellulose, or polyurathane finish? And duosonic--are you sure that your guitar is parted together? I'm almost certain my Goldstar has a nitro finish, with an incredibly well matched 2 piece body (alder, mind you), but it's got a U shaped neck. Mine looks untampered with. I'm wondering if these 1954 and '58 "vintage models" all had nitro finish?

________
Buy Air One Vaporizer

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshirecatsmile wrote:
Hey MIJ,
Does your Goldstar have a nitrocellulose, or polyurathane finish?

I'm wondering if these 1954 and '58 "vintage models" all had nitro finish?

I seriously doubt mine is nitro; pretty sure it's poly..........and of course mine is a '64 copy.............

duosonic
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm positive the chingo Goldie was a parts job... not that I'm complaining! It's a poly TST-50 Goldstar neck, and the body is definitely nitro and did not come with that neck. The neckplate, however, footprints correctly, and it's from 1980, so...
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:
Hi guys,
this guitar is an ST-50 YSOR. It's the 'U' that gives it away, in that Goldstar sounds had different pickup letters for ST-50's and ST-60's - Springysounds did not.
It has an obvious Alder body, 1963 radius fingerboard and square string tree, but on an ST-60 Goldstar, the pickups are stamped "V'.

regards
Peter mac

Hi Pete , I just stumbled across this whilst looking for something else.In my somewhat limited experience admittedly, the three GoldstarST 60sI have come across (2 of them owned by me)have had E pickups not V`s.Regards Gabe.
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gabe,
'E' pickups would more likely make it a TST-70 or TST-80. To me the body being alder and not a spectacular grain would point toward the TST-70 (although most TST-70 had 60 slab board and not 64 thin)
TST-80 did tend to use Ash bodies with maple necks and high-grade Alder with rosewood neck.
regards
Peter Mac
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:
E' pickups would more likely make it a TST-70 or TST-80. To me the body being alder and not a spectacular grain would point toward the TST-70 (although most TST-70 had 60 slab board and not 64 thin)
Peter Mac

Peter.

How come there is no mention of the ST70 in the most commonly available catalogue in the UK, 1985 Vol 1?

Since the only ST70 I can recall seeing on here is owned by a well known long haired Australian rocker (Hi Mick ), was the ST70 something for the antipodean market?

Also, I have to agree with Gabe. From what I have seen on here, ST60s seem most likely to come with Es, though some have Us. In many cases, the only difference between an ST60 & an ST80 is that the 80 has a V neck & nitro finish.

Mike
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a black/maple ST60, 60 sticker on the neck, practically mint, and I would looked totaly original, it had E pickups too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: