Debating changing pickups in my Greco

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spleen

Reaction score
I have a wonderful 1982 EG59-100 Mint Collection greco guitar with a stock pickup in the neck and an unidentified (could be Greco with the sticker peeled off I guess) pickup in the bridge. The bridge pickup looks newer as well. I love the neck pickup and when in the middle position the guitar is wired out of phase so that sounds cool as hell too.

The bridge pickup is a little too bright and trebly for my tastes however. I have the tone turned down to about 7 and that helps but I don't adjust the tone controls on any of my 6 other guitars. It also feeds back just a litle too early compared to my other guitars.

So, I'm debating changing out the pickups. I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge pickup of my 81 Gibson Les Paul and it's awesome but I don't necessarily want the same sound for my Greco. I play everything from The Beatles to Metallica in my band and I want a pickup that can reflect that kind of diversity. I guess I would want a good heavy blues rock sound out of it but with more clarity to the clean signal than my Super Distortion. Here's what I've come up with so far for ideas:

Seymour Duncan JB
Gibson Dirty Fingers
PRS Dragon II

(The PRS may seem like a wacky idea and I'm not sure it isn't but that choice is currently my main contender)

I'd be interested in people's input and advice. I'd prefer a readily available commercial product in that I'm itching to get this done quick if I decide to do it but am willing to listen to arguments why I should wait and order a Bare Knuckles or something similar.

Hi,
I've used the Seymour Duncans for a while on a 1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom, they are very versatile, but they lack a bit of the typical Les Paul sound. The Dirty Fingers seem to be the best choice. But first I would try to lower the bridge pu on the higher strings side, maybe it helps. I've never had any problems with the pu's, which are in my opinion as good as any old PAF's. But maybe it isn't a Greco in the bridge position, it sounds like the guitar was modified. If you really want to change the pu, I would try to get an original Greco pu, ask the Japanese sellers on eBay, they mostly have some parts in stock and they are cheap to get. The Mint Collection series had a limited run of 1000 instruments, I would try to bring the guitar to original condition. But that's only my personal taste.
Regards
Volker

Latest posts

Back