Where is a Mid 80's AST62 made at???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should be Japanese, as far as I know Tokai didn't manufacture any guitars in Korea in the 80's. They like many other company's have probably been forced to manufacture some models in Korea to be able to offer cheaper guitars. It's quite expensive to manufacture guitars in EU, USA or Japan today and not all people can afford them. I'm glad I bought a few Japanese Tokai's in the 80's and still own them!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Michael']

I really have been enjoying these reading this message board!! Its amazing how some of these people still believe that these Love Rocks are made in Japan. Open up any Muscians Friend catalog and you'll see lots of Guitars in the $500 range. And guess what, they are all made in either China, Taiwan, or Korea. I live in Okinawa and I can tell you that guitars made in Japan are not cheap anymore. Fernandes, Tokai, Ibanez, and Tokai have lines of "Korean" specials. Fernandes makes a Les Paul copy under the name of "Burny". Hell ESP makes a nice copy under the name "Navigator" and a cheap copy under the name "Grass Roots" Fender still has guitars being made in Japan but they still cost about $800-$1,000. Even in Japan, Tokai is not a big name anymore. Out of three big musice stores in Okinawa that Ive been too, ONE store carries Tokai. It had 3 LS-70's. I've seen more Gibsons over here than Tokais. I guess the Japanese know something that Westerns dont.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Kevin Bailey']

Thanks!! I'm thinking of trading a Carvin TL60 in KoaWood for a Tokai AST62....I've had this itch for a Strat Type Guitar :smile: ..

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Chrisd']

Latest posts

Back