Need help with Greco Barney Kessel custom/copy!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblme_fan

Reaction score
I've got this greco, I got it from my grandfather. he picked it up sometime in the 60's-early 70's... from what I can tell it is a replica of the gibson 335/Barney kessel custom edition, hollow body electric.
...its got the gibson "open book" style headstock, which is pearl inlay(mother of pearl?) with the Greco nail-on logo on it, 3-in-1 tuners, no inlay on the back of the headstock, has inlay rectangles on fretboard(don't think its pearl..abelone maybe??), bolt-on neck,double cut-away(sharp), 2 pickup(with pearl covers) floating bridge and slightly unusual tailpiece. It also has raised pick-guard(also pearl) 2-tone and 2-volume knobs(gold), and 3-way pickup selector, with pearl plate. Everything on it is origional hardware.Sun/tobacco burst?? (nice woodgrain front and back)looks good. Also, the F-holes are cut in three separate openings per f-hole. The only identifying marks are the Greco logo on the headstock, and the steel plate on the back stamped "STEEL REINFORCED NECK" and "MADE IN JAPAN", with a serial #2111239.
This thing still sounds GREAT, Overall, i'd give it a VERY strong 8 out of 10, for overall condition and playabilty.
I'd like to know the model name/number and approx. date of manu., and maybe a ball-park price?? I have no plans on getting rid of it, the sentimental value is far more than the money, I'm just interested in knowing what I have here. I've found several other Kessel copies, but nothing like this one. Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated!! Dont have pics of it up yet, will very soon!

Thanks guys
Ray

Latest posts

Back