is this a tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huk_finn

Reaction score
Hi,,New to tokai .
Have an old guitar , bought used around 1978 - 82 for $35, been sitting around in garage since.
It does not have any decals on head stock, nor company markings of any other kind on outside of guitar. Just made in japan on the neck plate. It has an inked serial number (w050675) on back of headstock under the tuners toward neck.
Looking at the old catalogs, it looks like a 1973 or so LS model. It has the 4 triangle and 1 center rectangle inlays on the headstock. Gold top , dark red/brown sides and back. No stampings on fret board. Has the white binding on body, up along fret board and around headstock.
The binding on head stock has a thin black pin stripe in the white.
The pick ups have a single row exposed, cream ring, no markings on the covers. Nothing on the jack plate. Bolt on neck.
I have not opened her up yet. Will get to that cause it needs to be refinished.
Just trying to get a clue if this really is a tokai or offshoot company.
Who ever made it,,,, the neck is straight as an arrow after 20 yrs sitting in unheated garage. One of my kids saw it and asked if he could smash it in a video.
thanks for any clues, tips ,etc

Give a good slap in your kids face and tell them to find a serious job (don't smash guitars!!!!).
And then ... it could be a greco as a lot of models doesn't have any logo, it could be a lot of things, but without pictures it's hard to tell!

20 century boy said:
Give a good slap in your kids face ,,,
Good one,,,, we think alike!!!!! I'll try to post some pics somewhere , then open it up,,,,, start to strip for a refinish. Hopefully it has some decent wood under there.
amazing how kids think differently,,, the one who wanted to smash it is 15,,, wanna be ,,, who wont learn to play guitar. The next younger (12) asked how much to redo it,, plays pretty good for a 12 yr old.

:D Nothing in the world like a guitar for $35! Get us a picture , and don't do anything to it before we talk about this! :eek: You might really have something there! 8) TG

Latest posts

Back