Goldstar sound strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas

Reaction score
Hi!

My brother bought couple of years ago used Tokai Stratocaster. Seller told that it is a Japanese Tokai.

I tried to find that which model and how old it is but I couldn?t solve that problem. Hope that you could help me!

Neck is maple/rosewood (thin veneer) without skunk stripe. Headstock is "real" Fender style and decal is: Tokai goldstar sound (sound the quility musical instruments of the world) oldies but goldies. Trusrod adjustment is from body side. Tuners are "single line" deluxe. There is a stamp end of the neck: 1-2.

Neckplate got serial number: 230430

Body is candy apple red coloured and wood is ash. There are no stamps on the body, only red drawing "C" on neck cavity.

Pu?s got magnetic bar bottom (I got same type in my japanese silver series stratocaster) and wires are white/red and white/blue coloured.

Bridge is two-screw-type (without studs) and there are no stamps on bridge saddles. There is text "Made in Japan" bottom of block.

I?d like to know that is this guitar "real" japanese Tokai? Is it possible that neck is from 80?s and body is maybe Squire or something else? Which years Tokai has made "Goldstar sound" stratocasters? I got some pictures about it if someone likes to see it...

jake

Well, the neck seems to be mid 80's, TST-50 or better if it has the "Deluxe" tuners. But the pickups are wrong for those guitars, it should have pickups with alnico magnets, not a ceramic bar. There should also be a code similar to the neck code in the control cavity and also a color code. Is the body refinished?

The serial.no on a 60's replica with rosewood fingerboard is normally Lxxxxx like a Fender from that period. The serial number on your guitar is the same type as on my mid 80's AST-40, just six digits starting with 2.

I've actually seen a guitar for sale in Finland with a neck like that and also a two screw tremolo, it was also candy apple red. I guess it's not the same guitar? I was actually thinking of buying it and even contacted the shop.

Mike

Thanks for your answer Mike! It seems that there is not so many twoscrewbridge Tokai?s around because this guitar really is in Finland! Which shops was selling it?

I don?t know is it refinished but I?ll try to scratch some paint from control cavity if it tells something...

Pu?s looks like normal strato pu?s (6 individual cylinder magnets, not like "hotrails") but there is that magnet bar bottom of the pu.

If you or someone else are interested to see how it looks like, I can mail some pictures!

jake

http://www.kitarapaja.com/ - I almost bought that strat but ended up buying a new Tokai AST-50 strat (surf green, maple neck, made in Japan) from Germany instead.

Are the pickup bobbins (top and bottom) grey or black? Most Tokai 80's single coils are grey.

You can also check the pickup selector switch, if it's original it should be a Mitsubishi switch (same logo as on the cars).

logo.gif

Tokai did use two screw tremolos on some strats but I've never seen it on a Goldstar Sound strat other than the one I mentioned.

You can email me some pictures if you want to, send them to javelin70(at)gmail.com

Mike

Latest posts

Back