Jap Tokais...80's versus new models help please!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffpowers

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I already own a korean love rock gold top.Nice guitar,especially for the money,but now I'd like to get a more pro model gold top(I've got a gibbo,but I'm not lining their pockets by buying another!!)
Heres my dilema-do I buy an 80's jap model or a new jap model??I want something that is built and looks as good as my gibbo but plays and sounds as good too,with decent pots and hardware(unlike the korean)
So guys,what do you think?Which would be best for me??Do I keep my eye out for an 80's love rock or jsust get a new one??!!

I can tell you that absolutely the best sounding guitar - bar none (and I've owned a few Gibsons) - I have ever played was an '84 Tokai Goldtop. It probably had the Tokai 57 PAF's in it. If I hadn't had been such a flametop snob, I would have got it without hesitation. I hope owners of new MIJ Tokai's will add their experiences.

Novosel said:
I can tell you that absolutely the best sounding guitar - bar none (and I've owned a few Gibsons) - I have ever played was an '84 Tokai Goldtop. It probably had the Tokai 57 PAF's in it. If I hadn't had been such a flametop snob, I would have got it without hesitation. I hope owners of new MIJ Tokai's will add their experiences.

Well, I have an '84 TLS-50 goldtop (bought it new in the summer of '84), it came fom the factory with the Tokai PAF's normally used on the (T)LS-80. I thought it sounded really good with the original pickups so I never even thought of replacing them. It wasn't until 2001 I removed the pickups and found out that it didn't have the pickups normally used on the TLS-50. I love this guitar, I was able to choose from a number of new guitars that came directly from the Tokai factory. I think the new japanese Tokai's are really good too but I prefer the 80's models, they are excellent.

Mike

Latest posts

Back