Curious old pre 80's lespaul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
Just seen an old Les Paul (must be pre 80's era) with just L and P on the headstock in the LesPaul font, without the words 'Les Paul' though....weird. The other letters havent warn off either. Serial number starts 5031746... surely this cant be 1975?? It is a flame top, CSB. Not a Love Rock, it doesnt say 50 or 60 or indeed anything on the 22nd fret.

What say you??

Doesn?t sound like a Tokai, so the serial number probably bears no clear relation to date. But lots of Japanese makers produced LP copies in the 70?s ? I still have an Antoria LP Custom which I bought new in 1973 or 74 :-? .

Ian.

Ah,.... OK, well that changes things :) . But is it the usual pearl inlay, or does it look like maybe somebody put the name on with a transfer?

Registry shows late 70?s Tokai with numbers 700xxxx, 800xxxx etc., on which basis 75 should be 500xxxx. But before 77 it appears Tokai were selling guitars under the name Goban (or Gaban), see 73 Catalogue. Are you thinking it may be a very early Tokai ?Les Paul? model, ie before the ?Les Paul Reborn? :-? ?

Ian.

Just caught it in the light it says Love Rock, it is a 1985, but the words Love Rock has been warn into L P, just the two letters. May have been somewhat cheeky, because it is well warn. Me bird reckons that someone has taken out the words -ove-ock and then modified the R to a P.

Anyway it plays like a dog and needs a bloody good clean, lovely flame finish though. Very subtle.

8bit

Your Bird?s probably right mate ? give it a good wipe with some soap & get the set-up sorted lol :lol: .

Ian.
Ps:- sounds like a nice top though :-? .

Latest posts

Back