serial no. confusion?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi there, I'm totally confused on how to date my 'Love Rock' it's serial no. is stamped into the rear of the headstock near the top it reads: 1014238. Is there anybody that can help me date this? By the way the guitar is a beautiful 'Cherry Sunburst' with a lovely grain thru her.
Cheers all,
Bignose :

Lasher is correct:- it?s definitely a 1981 serial number. See the Tokai registry, and look under ?Tokai Info?, then select ?Gibson Copies? ? up until 1989, the first digit indicates the year & the second digit is always zero :-? .

1981 is of course central date in collector period 8) .

Ian

Ha.....for some reason I keep making a "guest" appearance :lol: . Guess I wasn't correctly logged in :-? .

Ian.

Correct - 1981 made earlier that year. Defintatle follow lashers instructions.

The link is www.tokairegistry.com

Ned

Thanks so much 4 the help guys it's muchly appreciated. 1 other question, r these guitars classed as collectable?
Cheers again all
bignose

No, not collectable at all. In fact, you should unload it as quick as possible. Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.

:wink:

I think Novosel probably put it nicely in just one line :lol:. But just spelling it out.......

Prices have risen considerably on early Tokai Les Paul Reborn & Reborn Old (also ?Les Paul Model?, if anyone ever finds one!), slightly less so for early Love Rock (as yours) and 7okai Springysound & Breezysound. Otherwise prices are fairly stable for the later models.

But be wary about collectability & investment value of guitars other than Gibson & Fender. Collectors markets are very fickle, and they can turn very quickly ? yes, keep the 81 Love Rock for sure, but don?t bank on it! Note that so-called ?improvements? such as ?better? pups etc. invariably ruin collector value ? the guitar must be 100% original :-? .

Ian.

Thanks 4 the info ian! As far as I know the guitar is totally original except 4 the pick-ups ( 'Seymour Duncan, SH-4 in the bridge and 59' Vintage Seymour Duncan in the neck position). The guitar absolutely sings and screams it's head off as well as having a beautiful clean and blusey tone if need be. I actually walked into a second hand shop on the 'Gold Coast' Australia Queensland and seen what I thought was a real Gibson Les paul but was a Tokai which I'd never heard of! They only wanted $75 Aust. 4 it so I plugged it in and played and totally blown away by it! I own 3 Gibson Les Paul's so I know what they sound and feel like. I've used the Tokai as my main stage guitar 4 over 3 years now, but recently I've taken a liking to an old 72' Deluxe 'Cherry Sunburst' so the 'Love Rock' has been playing back up but I still grab her off the rack 4 a good work out now and then!
Cheers,
John

Crikey, $75 Aus?? Is that the 81?? Deal of the century, :lol: LoL! Just in case the old Tokai hits the jackpot, maybe worth keeping an eye open on eBay for a pair of vintage Mk-1 or Mk-2 Gotoh H-buckers (whatever they used in that model - see registry), ie just in case you ever want to sell & return to original spec. You have a nice guitar there "mate" :-? !

Ian.

thanks 4 the tip on the pup's Ian you're a Legend dude! Say hi 2 London 4 me! :wink: :D

bignose said:
Thanks 4 the info ian! As far as I know the guitar is totally original except 4 the pick-ups ( 'Seymour Duncan, SH-4 in the bridge and 59' Vintage Seymour Duncan in the neck position). The guitar absolutely sings and screams it's head off as well as having a beautiful clean and blusey tone if need be. I actually walked into a second hand shop on the 'Gold Coast' Australia Queensland and seen what I thought was a real Gibson Les paul but was a Tokai which I'd never heard of! They only wanted $75 Aust. 4 it so I plugged it in and played and totally blown away by it! I own 3 Gibson Les Paul's so I know what they sound and feel like. I've used the Tokai as my main stage guitar 4 over 3 years now, but recently I've taken a liking to an old 72' Deluxe 'Cherry Sunburst' so the 'Love Rock' has been playing back up but I still grab her off the rack 4 a good work out now and then!
Cheers,
John

Cripes, if you bought the pickups alone that would have been a great deal! You lucky goit! 8) 8) 8)

I realise that now mate! as I said b4 I'd never heard of Tokai and thought they were a cheap crap make until I played this beautiful piece of guitar! :p and 2 think I almost sold her last year and I would have been happy to have gotten my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then I checked out the pick-ups and found out they were 'Seymour Duncans' and realised one pick-up alone was worth way more that I paid for the guitar!!!! Now she stays and plays 4 me! :wink:

Back