serial no. confusion?

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

bignose

serial no. confusion?

Post by bignose » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:19 am

Hi there, I'm totally confused on how to date my 'Love Rock' it's serial no. is stamped into the rear of the headstock near the top it reads: 1014238. Is there anybody that can help me date this? By the way the guitar is a beautiful 'Cherry Sunburst' with a lovely grain thru her.
Cheers all,
Bignose :

lasher
Guitar God

Post by lasher » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:43 am

sounds like an 81.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:14 pm

Lasher is correct:- it?s definitely a 1981 serial number. See the Tokai registry, and look under ?Tokai Info?, then select ?Gibson Copies? ? up until 1989, the first digit indicates the year & the second digit is always zero :-? .

1981 is of course central date in collector period 8) .

Ian

ian
Guitar God

Post by ian » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:21 pm

Ha.....for some reason I keep making a "guest" appearance :lol: . Guess I wasn't correctly logged in :-? .

Ian.

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:36 pm

Correct - 1981 made earlier that year. Defintatle follow lashers instructions.

The link is www.tokairegistry.com

Ned

bignose

serial no. confusion?

Post by bignose » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:59 pm

Thanks so much 4 the help guys it's muchly appreciated. 1 other question, r these guitars classed as collectable?
Cheers again all
bignose

Novosel
Guitar God

Post by Novosel » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:09 pm

No, not collectable at all. In fact, you should unload it as quick as possible. Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.

:wink:

ian
Guitar God

Post by ian » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:52 am

I think Novosel probably put it nicely in just one line :lol:. But just spelling it out.......

Prices have risen considerably on early Tokai Les Paul Reborn & Reborn Old (also ?Les Paul Model?, if anyone ever finds one!), slightly less so for early Love Rock (as yours) and 7okai Springysound & Breezysound. Otherwise prices are fairly stable for the later models.

But be wary about collectability & investment value of guitars other than Gibson & Fender. Collectors markets are very fickle, and they can turn very quickly ? yes, keep the 81 Love Rock for sure, but don?t bank on it! Note that so-called ?improvements? such as ?better? pups etc. invariably ruin collector value ? the guitar must be 100% original :-? .

Ian.

bignose

serial no confusion?

Post by bignose » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:48 am

Thanks 4 the info ian! As far as I know the guitar is totally original except 4 the pick-ups ( 'Seymour Duncan, SH-4 in the bridge and 59' Vintage Seymour Duncan in the neck position). The guitar absolutely sings and screams it's head off as well as having a beautiful clean and blusey tone if need be. I actually walked into a second hand shop on the 'Gold Coast' Australia Queensland and seen what I thought was a real Gibson Les paul but was a Tokai which I'd never heard of! They only wanted $75 Aust. 4 it so I plugged it in and played and totally blown away by it! I own 3 Gibson Les Paul's so I know what they sound and feel like. I've used the Tokai as my main stage guitar 4 over 3 years now, but recently I've taken a liking to an old 72' Deluxe 'Cherry Sunburst' so the 'Love Rock' has been playing back up but I still grab her off the rack 4 a good work out now and then!
Cheers,
John

ian
Guitar God

Post by ian » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:34 pm

Crikey, $75 Aus?? Is that the 81?? Deal of the century, :lol: LoL! Just in case the old Tokai hits the jackpot, maybe worth keeping an eye open on eBay for a pair of vintage Mk-1 or Mk-2 Gotoh H-buckers (whatever they used in that model - see registry), ie just in case you ever want to sell & return to original spec. You have a nice guitar there "mate" :-? !

Ian.

bignose

tokai 81'

Post by bignose » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:31 pm

thanks 4 the tip on the pup's Ian you're a Legend dude! Say hi 2 London 4 me! :wink: :D

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Re: serial no confusion?

Post by Paladin2019 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:42 am

bignose wrote:Thanks 4 the info ian! As far as I know the guitar is totally original except 4 the pick-ups ( 'Seymour Duncan, SH-4 in the bridge and 59' Vintage Seymour Duncan in the neck position). The guitar absolutely sings and screams it's head off as well as having a beautiful clean and blusey tone if need be. I actually walked into a second hand shop on the 'Gold Coast' Australia Queensland and seen what I thought was a real Gibson Les paul but was a Tokai which I'd never heard of! They only wanted $75 Aust. 4 it so I plugged it in and played and totally blown away by it! I own 3 Gibson Les Paul's so I know what they sound and feel like. I've used the Tokai as my main stage guitar 4 over 3 years now, but recently I've taken a liking to an old 72' Deluxe 'Cherry Sunburst' so the 'Love Rock' has been playing back up but I still grab her off the rack 4 a good work out now and then!
Cheers,
John
Cripes, if you bought the pickups alone that would have been a great deal! You lucky goit! 8) 8) 8)

bignose
Plucker

reply to paladin!

Post by bignose » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:27 am

I realise that now mate! as I said b4 I'd never heard of Tokai and thought they were a cheap crap make until I played this beautiful piece of guitar! :P and 2 think I almost sold her last year and I would have been happy to have gotten my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then I checked out the pick-ups and found out they were 'Seymour Duncans' and realised one pick-up alone was worth way more that I paid for the guitar!!!! Now she stays and plays 4 me! :wink:
Fly High and Be Free!!!!!!