Tokai ES178 335.. poss trade pending... Advice needed ASAP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goddardo

Reaction score
So there's a local guy with a new, unused ES178 in flamed natural
Finish with its original hard case..... Here's the situation.

I have a cherry 2002 DC TJ60 which has been upgraded to the
tune of £250 which includes Oil city p90, better pots, harness.
AMB wrapover Bridge, and a shell guard... Its a great guitar
and slots into my backup / open tuning requirements nicely...

But this guy is offering me his ES178 as a trade where I'd need to give him £400.

My TJ60 stands me at £600-700 given the upgrades and comes with a gigbag.... I'd really appreciate guidance from you guys on this and opinions on the ES178 against my TJ60. I'd be sorry to see it go but would still pursue the deal if it were in my favour as I do also like 335's

Looking forward to your comments guys

Can't come down on an exact figure but as a rule modifications and upgrades do not add much, if anything, to a guitar's resale value. Buyers consider them an unknown quantity and they generally want a factory guitar because you know what you're getting.

Mods are a matter of taste and if they are into customisations they will probably want to do their own. More importantly you never know what the workmanship is going to be like.

If you are concerned about getting your £250 back you will probably be better off restoring the guitar to stock condition (maybe leave the new electronics, which are worthless used) and selling the pickup and hardware separately.

The guy is chomping at the bit to do a deal. Do you think it's a good prospect for me?

Latest posts

Back