Love my goldstar sound , but why so heavy? Sen ash?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemoss

Reaction score
have a st 50 or 60 goldstar sound . Think it is mid 80’s . The guitar is 8.9 pounds in weight , is this unusually heavy for this guitar? Also I am told it is made out of sen ash . How can I confirm it is made of sen ash ? Is sen ash heavy?

Great guitar , if not a bit chunky!

Wow !!! Almost 9 pounds for a strat is pretty heavy, LP territory.

Do you have any pictures ?? Is it a solid colour or a sunburst ??

Sorry I meant 8 pounds 9 ounces ! The guitar is black (BB). If you look at the picture below, you can just about make out the grain - is this sen ash?

s!AtJBR8-QSHfxhU7tcy56Pi-gkSXo

I've got a '79 Fender Strat that's crazy heavy ash, and a 90s Vintage Reisssue that's feather light...
It depends on where the ash is grown, that is the tree itself and not geographically.
'Swamp ash', as the name suggests grows on the edge of swampy land where there's a high moisture content in the soil. This leads to it growing with a very open grain and therefore less density - wood is basically semi solid material.
The ash my '79 Strat was made from was grown high up the mountain, where the soil is relatively dry. It grows with a tighter grain and is significantly denser as a result.
Believe it or not, wood grows on trees, and the environment the specific tree grows in dictates it's characteristics, probably more than it's generic species... bit like people.

Really interesting stuff, so mine was prob grown very high up!

Do you think it is ash, given the grain in the photos? I don't think Alder has such a prominent grain

Cheers

It's hard to tell on a black strat what the body is made out of. Alder can be quite grainy as well. Sen wood is commonly referred to as Japanese Ash because it looks like Ash, but i'm not sure if it's even in the Ash family.

Back