2015 LS150F Pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
Hey peeps,
Acquired a 2015 LS150F at the weekend in dark cherry sunburst.
Very happy with the deal, the guitar and fairly sure I know it's entire history - the shop I bought ot from was the original seller of the guitar.
Only thing I/we're not sure of is the pickup origins.
'The shop', says this guitar has had it's handmade pickups installed, but they're not sure if the pickups now in it are theirs or the original Tokai pickups - they think they're the Tokais.
Changed the strings on Sunday and had the pickups out to see if there were any clues...
No identification marks/stamps/stickers. Braided cable and wax residue on the base plate.
FWIW - Nridge reads 11.0k, Neck reads 7.15k.
Ring any bells?

I didn't know you could still special order a LS150F from Tokai. That's even a better deal than when they first came out. Lets see some pictures !!!

There's a good picture here of what I believe are the Keiyo's. 7/11's

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19383&highlight=keiyo

Are these like yours ??

It is correct, the resistance, I had a LS150 with one pickup as said above.
My guess is Tokai trying to get a younger public for his guitars , stronger pickup means more power you know...

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

First thing, I just bought a used guitar from a shop (store in American) who originally sold the guitar.
'The story'... I've been looking out for a LS150 since last October. This shop stocks Toakis, which I think they import direct from Japan - they never have 'non MIJ' models. Anyway, at the time I didn't quite have the funds, the two 150s sold, and I kept an eye on their site and scoured the UK for other dealers with any.
There is/was another up in Blackpool, which I was watcjing, then last week on the day before a cheque was due to clear, 'my shop' posted on their site a list of about a dozen guitars coming in, including a pair of LS150s and an R8. I rang the shop and after a bit of conversation, it turned out the Tokais and the R8 were the guitars I'd been 'familiar' with over the last few months.
Cheque cleared, following day I went in and tried 'em. The r8 sounded best, BUT that can be sorted. Otherwise, nothing to choose between the three. Don't like 'fake faded' finishes, and 'the logo' isn't worth the extra grand and a half, so I bought the dark cherry sunburst LS150F.

Right, the pickups.
Thanks for the links to photos. What I notice is that mine are the same as in the photo where the pickup has the Tokai sticker. Obviously, it's been removed on mine - the base of the pickup has wax residue all over it except for a blank area opposite the pole screws. Also, mine have the baseplates where there is only one corner with a hole for the cable to pass through - I notice the photos of the 'unmarked' pickups have a hole in two opposite corners.
I'm pretty certain they are the original Tokai pickups and not the shops own handwound pickups, simply because they're bloody loud - I have a 1983 TST that is a helluva lot loader than a comparible specced Fender.
My theory on this is that there is something 'different' about Japanese magnets, or they're just crazy charged.
My old Yamaha SGs are similar. Their pickups are sub 8k, with AlNiCo V magnets that were charged to over double the charge of typical PAF readings. AlNiCo has a maximum charge capacity depending on it's dimsnsions and composition..

Back