Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Tokai headstock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight_yyz
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm asking this again but you did not answer the first time. So, I'm in Japan and I go into a guitar store and I don't give a ^&*( what year it is this time. I peruse the Tokai catalog and find my dream guitar. We'll say its an SS60. But I want upgrade X and it costs 12000 yen. When my guitar shows up it will have an SS72 sticker on it? or will it say SS60?

I am wondering if it is the other way around. According to Tokai, the only guitars this label went on were SS60's. So an SS48 with 12k in upgrades?

You can search Silver Star on Google for this label all day and never find it, but search for Silver Star SS60 and they pop up all over the place

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LAqJalNhn8H0ZqlZiC4nXMpFuKAWYPbn/view?usp=sharing
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you upgrade a 36 (as the base model SS was pre *about '82) or a 38 (as the base model was *about post '82), by 10,000 yen - the the sticker would say 46 or 48.

There are ton's of examples of STS50's with a 5000 yen upgrade for body colour that have 55 stickers... also plenty of 65 stickers out there.

The all black models tend to be a little out of the ordinary - I have a 1984 Super Edition all black with an 80 sticker and it's caused more than a few comments around here, heel stamp not visible because of the paint - one piece body with nitro finish but U pups, gold hardware and bridge per the 100 model etc etc

If I had to guess your's is a 38 (which is your clue to the year) with a 10000 upgrade for whatever has been mentioned, therefore a 48 sticker.
knight_yyz
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but those odd numbers are also in the catalogs. You can buy a model ST55 right off the shelf.
your statement implies that an odd number means it is a custom order and that is not entirely true.
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd number doesn't imply a custom order, factory runs of a different colour have 55 stickers, the point is the stick number reflects the extra charges for whatever they may be... custom orders, factory runs what have you.
knight_yyz
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1982 when the catalog came out, the highest model Silver Star was an SS80. But with painted neck and rosewood and a pickup upgrade and a bridge upgrade or any upgrade available could concievably make this an SS100 or SS120 And they would go out of their way to make a special sticker for that?
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make it easy for you -

You have a base model 38 with upgrades as reflected by the 48 sticker.
knight_yyz
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not what I asked you
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why anyone would think painting a Fender style guitar neck a solid colour, especially black would be an upgrade. To me it denotes a cheaper model much like the Limited Series Strats that Tokai came out with. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder i suppose.

Use Japanese catalogs as a reference point, never as gospel. Plenty of models are not in the catalogs. Even today you can have Tokai make you a guitar to your specs. Costs a bit more but they will do it for you. There is no catalog list of extra prices as far as i know.

I'm sure making the stickers was easier than making the guitars
knight_yyz
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 1982 catalog with all the upgrades,but I can't read japanese. I could care less what the model number is. My main concern was the odd headstock which no one could identify. Which is hilarious because everyone knows my model number but no one has seen the logo. It's obviously an SS60 logo but the "experts" didn't catch that. So the experts are not as smart as they think they are.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume545.jpg.

@brokentoes. Please elaborate. A Springy Sound ST50 cost 50k plus or minus. a limited edition ST50 cost 50k, a Custom edition ST50 cost 50 k and a Super Edition st50 cost 50k. Which is the better guitar? I am so sick of people making blanket statments that this Tokai is inferior to that Tokai.
knight_yyz
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Raymond,

It seems that the guitar was sold around 1981 and we did not know how we priced for the custom models at that time. We need to find the old record.
Right now we do not change the model number for custom models. We just put another letter(s) like "C" of Custome, "S" of Special or something else.

Tokai
knight_yyz
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--DOyZucjq--/f_auto,t_large/v1552294379/axnlgawt0d26yg3nd74w.jpg

This is a 1982 Tokai limited edition SS48, ok it's an HH setup but who cares

How is this inferior to my SS48? The only differnce is the jack location! They both cost the same and they are identical except for the jack and the logo. But the Limited is "inferior". LMAO
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry now I get it, you're hung up on it being a higher model and can't accept it's a base model, have a good day.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "Cheaper" i meant cheaper looking. Not by the price. Sorry for the confusion. I never used the word inferior and i'm no expert either.

Last edited by brokentoes on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
I don't know why anyone would think painting a Fender style guitar neck a solid colour, especially black would be an upgrade. To me it denotes a cheaper model much like the Limited Series Strats that Tokai came out with. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder i suppose.

Use Japanese catalogs as a reference point, never as gospel. Plenty of models are not in the catalogs. Even today you can have Tokai make you a guitar to your specs. Costs a bit more but they will do it for you. There is no catalog list of extra prices as far as i know.

I'm sure making the stickers was easier than making the guitars

While I would agree with you generally about the black guitars, a painted headstock in any color is an upgrade and also I'd point out in the '84 catalog the 100 model is all black, black nitro;

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a how a painted matching headstock could be an upgrade. Especially if it was a nice colour but i meant more the whole painted neck. Horses for courses and all that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: