Neck Thickness: Everyone Has a Different Idea What It Means

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
We have all heard the descriptions used for guitar neck thickness, and to be honest none of these descriptions actually mean much of anything.

One man's 'thick' neck is another player's 'anemic' neck.
One player's 'medium' thickness neck could be another's small, or even large thickness neck.
Some players say it's a '58 thickness, a '59 thickness, a '60s neck, etc.
None of that actually means a thing.

Then, throw in the other variables such as extra 'shoulder,' little to no shoulder, and other profile attributes.
The profile could make for a fuller feeling neck, or it could make the neck feel like it's missing something.
Neck profiles however do NOT contribute to neck thickness.

So, what is the easiest way to quantify neck thickness? I use a digital micrometer. :)
I measure neck thickness at fret 1 & at fret 11, just as demonstrated in the BOTB.
The BOTB 'Burst Neck Thickness Summary' is a pretty good example (IMO) of how to reference neck thickness for Gibson style guitars.
This however only holds true if one has the means to accurately take neck thickness measurements.
If you have a reliable micrometer, and you actually know how to properly use it, then you are good to go.

I do understand that guitarist in general do seem to gravitate toward the lazy side of the general spectrum so, foregoing the above is certainly much easier to accomplish. :lol:

Now, let the complaints begin. :p

I'm with you :wink:, describing neck shape as thick, medium, thin, don't tell me much.

I like to use solder wire and micrometer to give an idea

Latest posts

Back