Please help ID this neck

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micky999

Reaction score
I recently bought this neck along with the matching body and hardware. Everything except the original pickguard, controls and pickups.

I was told by the seller what it was and have searched online for examples. What I found seems to confirm what I was told. In order to maintain objectivity, I'll save my thoughts for a little later. However, I chose a Greco forum, so that goes some way to revealing my thoughts.

There are no markings whatsoever and the decals were removed long ago.

It feels like a "D" profile, maybe a chunky "C". Looks like a smaller radius fretboard, 7.5". Definitely no bigger than 9.5". I'm no expert on either. The tuners and one piece bridge assembly are stamped/cast with "Japan". All hardware shows signs of age.

Hopefully these pics will jump out to someone. Thanks.

Ooops. Can't post pics directly here. Hopefully this works:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rKiufAcSgs5j8xF5A

Just by the tuners alone i'd say it's a lower end model. Pre 1980 probably. Does it have 4 screws or 3 ??

brokentoes said:
Just by the tuners alone i'd say it's a lower end model. Pre 1980 probably. Does it have 4 screws or 3 ??

Thx for the reply.

4 screws.

Tuners are much more solid than the current versions, but are definitely lacking..

Which model is the question I have. It's a very nice piece, so I don't know how low end it is.
Early 70s is the closest I've seen, but so many years look the same. 72-73 maybe??

I'm not really sure what model exactly this is, but it looks like it's in a pretty solid condition. Did you manage to pinpoint it somehow, Micky?

Yes. It's a 72-73 Greco "Gneco". It's a Wonderful guitar and in remarkably good condition. I'm waiting on a restoration headstock logo/decal to complete.

Someone along the way routed the neck and bridge pup cavities to accept humbuckers. They did a so so job of it, but thankfully it's all hidden under the puckguard.

I don't have the original pguard, pups, or controls. I have Fender 57/62s with CTS pots, push-pull, etc which make it sound better than the originals. Otherwise everything is original to the guitar. I am in need of the Matsumoku Made in Japan neck plate though.

Thx for the reply....

Latest posts

Back