SG

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl300367

Reaction score
just got this today 4022696 is that 1984 has fret edge binding any info would be great
looks like a 2 peice back and not sure about the finish either poly or nitro

I have an '84 TSG 50, the black one with the harmonica bridge and the headstock looks very different to yours and identical to LP's from the same year... I'm thinking maybe it was a very late 84 dimple model and the dimple has been removed?

Also interesting that it has FEB, not sure if 60 model LP's from that year also had it, I don't think so, but the cherry one was the higher of the two models so maybe... or could have been a special order higher model.

Take one of the tuners off and dab a q-tip with acetone. Rub it where the tuner would go. If the paint comes off nitro if not poly.

Thanks for the help , i's just had strings on so when i replace i will check with acetone and check the neck pockets and pickups.

I think i got a bargain as I only paid £250 fo it :D

Anyone got the same and could measure from the tip of the inlay to the bottom of the book carve?

Here's my 1984 TSG serial number 401xxxx

6jbW8U.jpg

4htz5E.jpg

It looks like the entire top of the headstock has been recarved. The corners are far sharper (pointier?) than the other two headstocks. The right corner is below the dot of the Tokai I .... whereas the other two headstocks have the right corner slightly above the I.

The recarve due to the dimple headstock sounds plausible. Still a great SG though.... I don't think the recarve will affect the tone. 8)

Hi guys,

The serial number is too early for dimple headstock plus dimple start shallowing over the top of the 'T" not after it.
I think this was a touch of customising. . . . .

Latest posts

Back