2005 LS230 limited run?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TofNo

Reaction score
Hi!

First message on this forum :)
I’m a French guy living in Norway, mostly playing acoustic but starting slowly on the electric.

I just bought a used Tokai LS, and the seller said it was a 2005 model, a limited run of LS230. The guitar seems a genuine japanese model, but the specs are not exactly the same as on the catalogue. It seems the condensers are bumblebee instead of black beauties. Not sure about the pickups, and there are some inscriptions in the bridge cavity that I can’t decypher.
There’s no Love Rock logo, but it might have been erased somehow?

The photos are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3f8o1mkfqry2mh5/AABr7zYuOmqqP7nPXpnpULzwa?dl=0

I’m really curious about the history of this guitar! It would be really great if some of you could tell me more about this model, and what is this « limited run» story... if there’s anything like it. Thanks in advance :)

Maybe a speciel run for a shop or a one-off order?

In 2005 the models set that year were LS150 and LS320, I owned both being 150 a new released product.

The seller said it was a limited run they made after they received some wood of higher quality than expected. Of course no way to check :)

I asked Tokai directly but since the guitar is more than 10 years old the person who replied didn't really know and assumed it was a sort of special order based on a LS230. He sent me this link to the 2005 catalogue and it seems to match with the description, except for the Bumblebees that belong to the LS380: https://theguitarshop.jp/wp/old_catalogue/Japan/catalogue-vol.23/vol23-4.html

I also checked on the next catalogue and I see that the maple top on my guitar is of higher grade than the LS150 (https://theguitarshop.jp/wp/old_catalogue/Japan/catalogue-vol.24/vol24-5.html).

I'm confused. How do the specs differ from the LS230 is in the catalogue?

It's hard to tell but the photos seem to show a faint outline of the "Love Rock Model" text where it may have been removed.

I think this might be a normal LS230 that the seller was talking up to make it seem more valuable. Having said that, the LS230 was a pretty rare and special guitar on its own so there should have been no need for that!

The condensers are different, reason why I was wondering if it was a LS230. As for the logo you might be right.
It’s a really cool guitar no matter what :)

TofNo said:
The condensers are different, reason why I was wondering if it was a LS230.

I don't think you can read too much into that. They probably just got the name wrong on the catalogue, the translations aren't always great. For example, everyone knows what Brazilian Rosewood is but in the catalogue they used to call it Jacaranda. Even the phrase 'condensers' is strange, everyone in the English-speaking world calls them 'capacitors'.

They're vintage-style caps (condensers) made by Sprague. I think that fits the spec.

Hehe condensers is really similar to the French word, I didn’t find it strange :)
Thanks for your explanation!

Same word for spanish: condensadores (capacitors).

I recall Mr. Furuhashi stablising LS150s first run with beatifull solid flamed tops and 1 piece african mahogany backs no fret edge binding; caps not being Sprague bees but regular 715P Orange Drop (Vihay made) which I am not fond on. Tokai crafts some special models after request, in fact my great LS320 is a GT finish with '90s not made before

Your LS looks very similar to my 2005 LS150F. If i had to guess or lay down money, i'd say yours was a LS150F special order as well. They made one in a Matte finish as well and in one of your pics it shows SMF (special order matte finish) ?? and above it upside down can anyone else read LS 150F written very very faintly ??

2monx2r.jpg

1z723qr.jpg

2affvt.jpg

My guitar however had it's Pickups, and Caps replaced by non originals.

You might be correct! Hard to read the inscription in the pickup cavity though, except LS the rest looks different depending on the angle and the light...
Not sure what SMF means as it’s not a matte finish.

Well congrats on your Tokai whatever it might be model wise. In the end a great guitar is a great guitar.

Back