Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burny SG from the 80's what is it and what are the pickups?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Burny SG from the 80's what is it and what are the pickups? Reply with quote

I got this Burny today. I got if for almost nothing and it plays really good. Much better than my 90s Gibson Standard I had a few years ago. Anyways, The bridge pot does not work and I know this what I purchased the guitar. Probably why I got it so cheep. I was planning on installing p90s in the guitar and re-doing all the pots. Currently the bride volume does not work (actually it works but at10% power pot just spins around forever). I assume the bridge PU works it is just a bad pot. The neck PU sounds much better than I expected. Now I think I am just going to re do the pots and try the PUs out for a few months. If they sound good I will just keep them in it. I assume this is a mid 80's SG maybe late 80's early 90's. No SN on the back of the head or anywhere in the body. The PU are chrome covers and chrome screws (the 6 ones in each PU). But the backs of them are gold. Weird, I have no idea about this one. Here are some pics.. The guitar is a poly finish the body is two piece split around the control cavity's. The neck has the wings on it from another piece of wood at the headstock. If you know what I mean. Here are some pics. I can take some more tomorrow.

Anyone know what is up with the pickup routing? Is this a Fujigen made SG? I know they made Burnys in the mid 80-early 90. I heard they did more bolt on neck guitars during that time (Fenders) and did not do many set neck guitars. So, I really do not know just a guess.

peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe those truss rod covers were used late 80s/early 90s. Pickups could be the 2nd version VH-1 or VH4. Iíve never been a fan of the Burny Pickups. Never tried the earlier VH1 or L-8001 pickups, but never cared for the stock mid 80s through early 90s pickups. Then again, never tried them with a proper harness...
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, from this page:

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/burny%20info.html

I came to the conclusion they are L8000's.

The PUs in my SG measure right over 8k. I really think they are L8000's because of all that.

I also believe the guitar is from 85-91 or so from the trust rod cover and no SN.
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L8001 pickups were only used very early on. They werenít around in the mid 80s and early 90s Burny Guitars. More likely a VH4 or a 2nd version VH1, which are different from the original VH1. Iíve had a couple Burnys with the brass bottom plate and grey wire. Nothing to write home about.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, either way they are not VH1's. I ordered some Fralin PAFs for the SG. I changed my mind about the p90's. I will get another SG at some point and put P90s in that one. Maybe a Bacchus SG classic. But no hurry on that one.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/pure-paf/

I have some of those in one of my 1981 LS-80's and they sound great. Probably my favorite PAF's I have found yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: