RIP GIBSON - Filed for chapter 11

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harima_San

Reaction score
It's official. Gibson filed for bancruptcy in the last 48 hours. Meaning that hundred thousands of Les Paul, SG and ES models have lost their dads.

They won't disappear. What exactly will happen to them for the future is still to be written. It is however an end to yet another era of Gibson. I've owned some nice Gibber's over the years but they've never stayed in the stable. No regrets. If i sold my Japanese guitars i'd be heartbroken.

Some Chinese company will buy them and they will make them even worse that they have for the past 18 years. In the 90s Gibson were pretty good, in the 80s they were even better. The 70s they were really bad. I just cannot believe how bad the ones from 2005+ are.

I sort of regret selling some of my 90s Gibsons but really all my Tokais and my Burnys are better than my 90s Gibsons.

I hope the company can still make it somehow. They just need to trim the fat they accumulated over the years and start focusing on their core business. They made so many bad investments over the years, trying to branch out into other stuff.

The good wood has all gone due to mass production.What you get today and even worse for a ridiculous price is fresh wood dried in a chamber in one day and still so heavy that they drill holes and chambers in it.They still live from the glory of more than 50 years ago.
Recently sold one Greco EGF to a guy who was searching for the right Lester for a long time.3 days before the purchase he went to a big music store for testing Gibbys for 2 hours.He said one for 8000 euros was ok but not as good as the Greco and there were even more expensive Customshop guitars that were worse...got a message from him 2 weeks after buying where he told me the Greco is the best Les Paul he ever had seen and he will never let her go.
If I remember how often I used those words... :lol:

speaking of wood. I am sure you guys know this but Tokai has a ridiculous amount of wood. Then have had for 70+ year or so and this is the wood they use to build their guitars right now.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12239138_619716961499615_4526357815397576651_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=73f8b7decb4f50e291b03ffa69f30026&oe=5B794709

On a side note I have 4 vintage Tokai Les Pauls. I just did the 50 wiring on one of them yesterday with all cts pots and braided wiring for the 3 way switch jack etc. I cannot believe what a difference that made in the that guitar. Going to do the rest pretty soon.

Latest posts

Back