VINTage JB 60 bass. To refret or not to refret?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Malloy

Reaction score
It needs it but will it destroy the vintage collector value? And do I care? Anyone??

Yes but my question is does it hurt the value if it? I mean for me it will help it immensly in value of actually using it. I know altering vintage fender or Gibson’s kills their collector value. These seem to be high end collectors as well.

Being in an unplayable condition lowers the value too. You could say the damage is already done. Get it fixed up in the original style by someone good. It's a restoration, not an alteration.

Is it a tool for making music or a museum display?

Ok save the lectures lol I’m doing it I was just curious if these are considered like fender and Gibson. Guess it doesn’t matter in the end as I’m not a collector I’m an artist. I’ll have it done with the frets I like not the original tiny ones I hate them. :) And Im In Nashville is inmy the best will Be workin on it will be amazing in the end I’m replacing everything on it with all my endorsements gear. Hipshot and babicz and Deacci .

I would refret it. I tend to think these Tokais as musical instruments to enjoy and not collection pieces to keep carafully kept for not loosing value.

I have some Sanko 213 fretwire kept to use if needed as far as those are originally used by Tokai in their Love Rocks. I love the size and it makes a Les Paul really comfortable to play. I had to refret a Tokai just because previous owner had placed some odd Fender size frets which made the guitar do not sound OK (besides some ceramic magnet pickups). Now that guitar plays great and sound really good with a impressive neck sunding position (which is my main to use).

In summary: just ask for original frets brand and size and do it.

Back