TOKAI ALS42

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HASENOBU

Reaction score
Greeting from Hiroshima, JAPAN!!

Hello.

Although I'm not a big fan of TOKAI guitars, can someone here answer my question??

An acquaintance of mine has an ALS42, MIK, which seems to be from 1995~1997 judging from the shape of its TRC. And the owner is eager to know its wood materials. I've already checked the catalog pages here, but unfortunately almost all the letters are too vague to read.

I'd appreciate it if someone would give information as to:
1. Body material
2. Neck material

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, especially on the Korean and Chinese Tokai's but i digged this up for you from another site. Hope it helps.

1995-1999 LS-45, LS-50 with three screw pointed bell TRC, Mahogany back + neck construction, Japan hardware, model #'s changed to LS-50, LS-55 in 1998 catalog + both models discontinued sometime in 1999.
Four piece matched plain top w off center seam for LS-45,
flame sycamore veneer top for LS-50,
Bolt on neck, three screw TRC, Mk3 pickups are the only other specs that differ from MIJ base models. Based on use of Japan hardware , partial production may be in Japan.
Later LS-50, LS-55 models could have two screw pointed bell TRCs. I couldn't find an example at the time of this writing.

1997* three screw pointed bell TRC alder back + maple neck ALS models introduced,
Fret inlays are opaque plastic instead of pearloid(on bolt-on neck models at least), move to a more rectangular nut profile, white cavity covers (except ALS-37 special model with back covers) please note the paler fret board and rectangular nut in pic #2 vs pic #1 on left.
ALS-48 and higher have set necks, lower models remain bolt-on maple , large bridge posts for all years other than LS models in category listed above this one. Some higher models may have pearloid inlays and rosewood fret boards.

1998~1999* two screw pointed bell TRC, ALS + ALC series catalog intro, ALS 48 and higher alder models with set necks, ALS 42 + lower alder or laminate body models all have bolt-on maple necks.
Pearloid inlays and rosewood colored fret boards often found on set neck models from now on. (may be actual rosewood... couldn't verify from pics)

Hello, again.

Mr. brokentoes,
Thank you very much for the detailed information. My acquaintance is sure to be pleased, too!

Mr. marcusnieman,
Oh, I see. I was just trying to be modest, as I have only one Tokai acoustic guitar CE500 built in 1979, which I cherish very much. Anyway, thank you for pointing out my poor writing.

Best regards,

Back