HELP: Tokai Reborn Old evaluation

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codename505

Reaction score
Hi,

(I posted the same thing on MyLesPaul forum before I found this forum. I got some good info from there. I'm expecting to get more info)

I need help evaluating my Tokai Reborn Old.

My parents bought me this Tokai Reborn Old in 1980 or so in Japan when I was a kid. I only played it for a year to learn. A year later I bought another guitar which has become my favorite. Since then, this Tokai had been sitting in my parents' closet for over 36 years until I picked it up and I brought it to NY where I live last year.

I would say this guitar is in a pretty good condition for a 37 old years guitar. There are small dents and scratches, nothing too deep. I think some can be buffed out. The chrome at the edge of endpiece is peeled off a little bit. Screws are kind of rusty. I guess those could be replaced easily. Electronics works fine and pickups are original and it sounds great. Frets are good, but it could use some polishing.

serial #0008163, "60" is stamped on the end of the fretboard.

I am not particularly attached to this guitar. Since I have many other guitars, I'm ready to sell it if it is worth something.

Here's the thing. I have no idea if this guitar is worth anything. I've only found out recently that some people see some values in Tokai Reborn Old.

Could someone please tell me how much this guitar could be worth? I guess I wouldn't bother selling it for a few hundred bucks. I just don't know what I should expect of this. So, I want to hear some opinions from Tokai experts.

I have a bunch of photos here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/102dnh8h71xriyu/AADELJdhwDxhudiuFDpOmSO0a?dl=0

Are there any dealers on here who are interested in selling a guitar like this on behalf of myself?

thanks very much!

IMG_1039
IMG_1048
IMG_1043

It would probably sell for anywhere between 800 and 1000 USD I reckon. It's a nice example with some decent figure in the top. It's a real shame you didn't play it more when you were younger, that's likely a killer Les Paul to play!

Mono said:
It would probably sell for anywhere between 800 and 1000 USD I reckon. It's a nice example with some decent figure in the top. It's a real shame you didn't play it more when you were younger, that's likely a killer Les Paul to play!

Haha. I know. It was in the 80's. Everyone had crazy looking guitar. I was into metal and punk rock. Being young and stupid, at the time I thought this Tokai was a guitar for old people! My second guitar was a Jake E Lee style strat and that was flashy enough to satisfy my ego :)

Glad to know this guitar is worth something now. Thanks.

Mick51 said:
duff said:
codename505 said:
Glad to know this guitar is worth something now. Thanks.

I guess 600 usd in 1980 was also not considered as 'cheap'.
Beautiful guitar!

In 1980, the JPY was 200 to the USD.
So, more like $300 USD.
Amazing..

I honestly don't remember how much my parents paid for it. I am sure they wouldn't remember it either. but one thing I know for sure is that they didn't want to spend some serious dough on a Gibson LP for a 12 years old kid.

duff said:
With inflation, 300 usd would be 891.21 usd in 2017.
Still not that cheap. Nice gift from your parents :D

I do remember my father had a high school friend who owned a discount music store in our local town. So, I think he got a massive discount on this.

the thing is that I do remember this Tokai not being very popular at the time. People saw it as poor man's Gibson obviously. So, that explains the discount.

Back