Just got a 80s Tokai Strat off CL - what model is it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friendofpugs

Reaction score
Hello!

I just bought an 80s Tokai Strat off of my local Craigslist. My question is - what year/model do I have?

Here's an album of some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/6NDpp

I'm guessing this is a 1984 or 1985 Tokai AST-62? The serial number - 2522 - makes me think it was a AST-56, but it has the rosewood fretboard and multi-ply scratch plate , so I'm not sure what it is. I just hope it's authentic!

What is the color called? Fiesta Red?

The pups don't look original - I'm guessing some sort of mystery meat ceramic pups, but they sound fine - and the tuners have been switched out, obviously. The tone pot for the bridge pup doesn't work or has been bypassed, as it has no effect on the tone of that pup.

I'm grateful for any information you have on my mystery guitar.

Thanks!

None that I saw, just oversprayed salmon body color. I didn't pull the neck, would there be anything there?

I've never done that before as I'm not sure I could set it up correctly afterwards. :(

Well it could be a refinish if there are no codes in the body, or it could be a tokai neck and a different body. I'm not much of an expert of Strat style guitars by Tokai i'm afraid.

brokentoes said:
Well it could be a refinish if there are no codes in the body, or it could be a tokai neck and a different body. I'm not much of an expert of Strat style guitars by Tokai i'm afraid.

Hmm, that could be the case too - it looks like the bridge and saddles are correct, as well as the trem block underneath. It's a nice, hefty thing at 8.2lbs and I really, really like the neck and vintage radius.

Still, it would be disappointing to get a Partscaster when you're expecting a vintage Tokai...

Well the electronics don't look right either but i wish i could be more help. Replaced scratchplate ??

I'm no expert on the Fender styles but everything apart from the neck looks weird to me.

I'm afraid my money is on Partscaster.

Thank you ladies and gents for your help, I'm thinking Partscaster too - Tokai neck on a different body, with maybe some parts swapped over. Oh well, you take a gamble on the ol' Craigslist and sometimes get a doozy.

It plays beautifully though so I guess, in the end, it doesn't matter so much in that regard. :wink:

Latest posts

Back