Pickup suggestions for a Tokai LS 50?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamin'D

Reaction score
I picked up a 1981 LS 50 and it has a Seth Lover bridge and a Burstbucker neck in there now. I'm finding the sound a bit lower output than I like. I tend to play classic to hard rock style music into a clean Hughes and Ketner Pure-tone and I'm using pedals for dirt.
I have a more current LS 95 and much prefer those stock humbuckers.
Any suggestions out there?

Perhaps you like one of those pickups :

http://deacci.com/humbuckerselector/

Loads of samples for different models and only good reviews from members who ordered.Not sure but maybe Declan gives you a little discount as a tokaiforum member.

I have a 1980 LS50 and using an old uncovered Dimarzio Dual sound super distortion in bridge position.

Stupid cheap on ebay for the good old ones with the square tabs.

I have 2 early Maxon type Ibanez V2 that I'm wanting to try in there too.

ibicus said:
Perhaps you like one of those pickups :

http://deacci.com/humbuckerselector/

Loads of samples for different models and only good reviews from members who ordered.Not sure but maybe Declan gives you a little discount as a tokaiforum member.

Thanks. That pure power model has got my attention and an A8 magnet. I'll be watching for those sound clips coming soon.

Loudmouse said:
I have a 1980 LS50 and using an old uncovered Dimarzio Dual sound super distortion in bridge position.

Stupid cheap on ebay for the good old ones with the square tabs.

I have 2 early Maxon type Ibanez V2 that I'm wanting to try in there too.

I have been looking at the Super Distortion and may try to find an older one on eBay or reverb. Do you think there's much difference old vs new?
I had a Super 3 in an old Fender HM and liked it.

I don't know if there is much difference between the old and new.

My LS100 came with older 4 wire Super D with rounded mounting tabs and they didn't sound quite right so I switched them out. I haven't tried them in any other guitar yet to see if they're wonky, but I would have thought just about any pickup would sound good in an LS100.

The 5 or so "vintage" 2 or 3 wire, square mount, uncovered SD I've had always sounded great in whatever guitar I had them in.

Latest posts

Back