Help identifying pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I pulled these pickups out of a 1983 Gibson Korina Explorer and must admit I've never seen them before.
The wiring is Japanese and they both have a solitary stamp inside a circle on the base plate. One is stamped 'N' obviously for neck and the other 'B' for bridge.
They do sound quite good but they are not from Tokai and I'm at a loss to figure out what they are. All help is appreciated.

Peter Mac

Can't say as i can help you other than to clean up the link to the photo's.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/PeterMac5/media/Pickups%20unknown_zps724j3p6s.jpg.html

How much would they read Peter?
Just because double row holes on the back thay could be Dirty Fingers copies....

And yes, thay are japanese made, just see the hole on the corner in both meaning asian.

Peter, check these Artec korean made pickups

150.jpg

Same B and N ietched nscriptions on the back

By jove, Luis, they look exactly the same . . exacto.
Muchas gracias, mi amigo.

This Explorer needs some electrical work as it's all been messed with.
For pickups I'm thinking Tim Shaw PAF and BurstbuckerII, and capacitor will be a Luxe .015 Bumblebee.
Will post pics before and after.
One thing that most people overlook with tone is moving the pickups away from the strings so the magnetic field is more open. Make sure the poles are staggered for an even volume across the strings. Add a good PIO capacitor and pots and you will create a tone monster.

Peter Mac

Glad to help you amigo!
I would recomend Sprague Hyrel or CDE PIO if tou can find any.If not I can send you a pair....I have some russian KY900.015 uf spares here if you need any....

About pickups there are so many options these days i do love JIm Rolph Pretenders but have Throback, Wolfetone (great bang for teh buck and vintage sounding), Duncan old 59s and old Seth Lovers, Shed, Old DiMarzio, RD...

Back