Tokai LS Les Paul 2010 vs 1981

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I own a Burny made by Tokai Black Beauty from 1978. It has Gibson Classic 57 pickups and sound great. Much better than a Gibson LP of that time. So, I wanted a similar era guitar with p90. I found (what I though was a 1981) guitar on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-LS-Series-P-90-Gold-Gig-case-Electric-guitar-From-JAPAN-Free-shipping-T950/282547146822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I ordered it a few days ago it had not arrived yet. I was looking more today and I fucked up the dating. 1xxxxxx, 1xxxxxx either a 81 or a 2010. Anyways, I way always under the impression you needed to get a 85 and earlier to get a great Tokai LP. Then I started looking around in the past hour and a lot of people say they like the modern 2000-2017 guitars. I already ordered new Duncan p90 pickups a case and a few other things. What do you guys think about a 2010 Tokai LP vs a older 85 and earlier?

I have three options here get the guitar and install the new pickups etc. Do not accept the package when it shows up and get my money back on Ebay. Or keep the guitar as is and save the pickups etc for another older Tokai later on.

Hi, not sure what grounds you have to reject the item and could find youself unsupported by Ebay unless the reason is valid. On a better note though, it could still be an 81 with little useage, as is my vsb80 from 81, or it could be a hard used 2010. I would wait until you have set it up and played it with the original pickups, they are often better than the gibson variant.
I have an Epiphone Elite Eb3 (Fujigen) and it is way better quality than the Gibson I had many years ago. I recently bought the Tokai vsb-80 long scale bass and after a strip down, clean and setup etc it sounds and plays great. I have no experience of the later Tokais but if it's made in Japan, I would be confident of the quality from reviews and pictures found on the internet. Fingers xssed it's what you hoped for, just don't rush into changes without checking it over first.

I probably do not have any reason to deny it. I am almost 100% sure it is a 2010. It says made in Japan on the headstock and the trust rod cover is a modern Tokai one. Yes, the trust rod cover could have been changed but the made in Japan stamp gives it away and makes it a 2010.

Anyone know if the 2010's are still Gibons killers? Or is this more of a Epiphone style guitar?

Yes that is a 2010.

It will be either on par with a good Gibson, or if it is a higher end model (1 piece back) something more along the lines of Gibson's custom shop.

I wouldn`t worry too much. I have a 1981 LS120 and a 2005 LS150 and although i will give an edge to the `81, it is a very small edge. Tokai are still making great guitars.

Thanks for that info. What is the difference between the LS80 to the LS150. They all seem to be solid back. I really do not care about the top as I am only using this guitar in the recording studio. So, sound wise is there a difference between the 80 though the 150 besides the pickups?

Getting that info from here:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-gibson-models.html

PS the 2010 Tokai is arriving tomorrow. I am sure I will just keep it.

For your guitar, the only sound difference would be the pickups, the higher model would have a one piece back and orange drop caps and a lacquer finish as far as I know.

Latest posts

Back