Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Tale of two ES150's....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emiel wrote:
There is a 1981 Tokai catalogue on this website. Maybe someone with knowledge of Japanese can tell us?

I suspect the 150 has Dimarzio pickups, full sized pots vs the 100s Gotoh's and mini pots. Perhaps a more flamey top too?

Hi Emiel...

Mine does have Dimarzio and full size pots but a plain top.

I think you could be correct in thinking that the pickups and pots may be the only difference.
Back in 1981 installing a named pickup manufacturer was a "big thing" in that it could add kudos to the upgrade.....nowadays it's very common but not then.

Although we don't know for certain that is a very logical conclusion!

Cheers,
Brian
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ES lover here!
I had a 2005 ES-120 (nitro finish) in sunburst. A really good guitar. My main concern was the neck being a bit thin on first frets which I don't like too much. Fit and finish was great!

I managged to get a '81 ES-100 , sunburst finish too. I got it from Neetherlands (thanks forum mate Ziltoid for his support!). It was modified with old Schaller tuners, no pickguard, some kind of Schaller style bridge with some thick thumblewheels, gold covered set t-top pickups (yes T-Tops!!!) and heavy tailpiece. I will post a review about it, it was a fun project to get it back to original specs with kluson aged tuners, Gibson aged abr-1 (yes. I chose that because its slight jazzy darker tone), original Tokai tailpiece and Wolfetone Dr. V old set selected magnet with aged DMC covers and Sprague Vitamin Q old caps....

I will post a review when back from my trusty luthier of touching up some.... I love this guitar!

One advise about Tokai ES: as far as pickguard was missing and I prefer guitars with them, I asked to craft one using Emiel pic (thanks Emiel!) for a template using ablack 3 ply sheet. I had to but a bracket BUT it doest not fit properly (Allparts one), although Allparts claims to be a 335 part it is nor 100% so I have to tilt it a bit and it falls out sometimes.... Have to get a real Tokai ES part but no one found still....
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I guess finish is a bit different in 150 model too....
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis wrote:
Another ES lover here!
I had a 2005 ES-120 (nitro finish) in sunburst. A really good guitar. My main concern was the neck being a bit thin on first frets which I don't like too much. Fit and finish was great!

I managged to get a '81 ES-100 , sunburst finish too. I got it from Neetherlands (thanks forum mate Ziltoid for his support!). It was modified with old Schaller tuners, no pickguard, some kind of Schaller style bridge with some thick thumblewheels, gold covered set t-top pickups (yes T-Tops!!!) and heavy tailpiece. I will post a review about it, it was a fun project to get it back to original specs with kluson aged tuners, Gibson aged abr-1 (yes. I chose that because its slight jazzy darker tone), original Tokai tailpiece and Wolfetone Dr. V old set selected magnet with aged DMC covers and Sprague Vitamin Q old caps....

I will post a review when back from my trusty luthier of touching up some.... I love this guitar!

One advise about Tokai ES: as far as pickguard was missing and I prefer guitars with them, I asked to craft one using Emiel pic (thanks Emiel!) for a template using ablack 3 ply sheet. I had to but a bracket BUT it doest not fit properly (Allparts one), although Allparts claims to be a 335 part it is nor 100% so I have to tilt it a bit and it falls out sometimes.... Have to get a real Tokai ES part but no one found still....

Hi Luis! Great post!

I would love to hear a review about your guitar when you get it back.
I have managed to get mine back to as near as original in appearance as I can. Why anyone would have wanted to fit really heavy aftermarket tuners is beyond me. Fortunately for my guitar the Kluson tuners use one of the holes so there is nothing showing on the headstock.

When I knew I was buying the guitar I ordered a 335 long scratchplate after having tried the one on my Gibson 335. I also ordered the bracket from Allparts but it is too high. It raises the pickguard up too much so I haven't fitted it yet. I will find one though!

Can't wait to see pics and a review of your guitar! I haven't played anything else since I got mine.
Regards,

Brian
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DiMarzio pickups fitted measure 8.02 in the neck and 7.87 in the bridge which as you know is very much PAF like.

The Shed Paf Daddies in my 335 and 59 replica are very close to those figures but those guitars are much louder than the ES150.

The bridge pickup Gotoh in the ES158 is 11.11k and is way louder than the 150.

The ES150 has a much mellower voice that I just love. It's very sweet but with overdrive it chimes and an open G chord is addictive! I don't use a lot of gain because I like a very dynamic sound and gain acts like a compressor to me.
It's just a different flavour and I'm really pleased it has it's own voice.
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis...

I got around the pickguard issue. It's not the best way perhaps but it works!

The guitar already had two screwholes in the top and the sides where two different pickguards had been fitted so I had nothing to lose really.

I used an old Les Paul bracket that I had and a long 335 pickguard from Allparts.
The bracket fitted in one of the holes on the side of the guitar and I did a very small amount of filing in the corners of the pickguard to fit the pickup surrounds perfectly.
I then screwed the bracket to the guitar and used araldite on the bracket to glue it to the pickguard once I had pushed the pickguard in to place. The guard was a nice tight fit between the pickup surrounds and held its place.

It was easy then to screw the guard to the guitar.

Originally I intended to superglue the guard to the bracket, remove them and then drill a hole from the back of the guard using the bracket slot as a template but just thought "why have a screw showing?" .
It hasn't altered the guitar and I've only modified non original parts.

Bracket in place with protection from dripping glue!

Pickguard in place ready to screw once glue dried.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good... keep at it.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian!

One of old Tokai LS&ES details is upper pickguard hole is located on different place than new ones. SO you have to choice if drilling a new hole on the top either modifying pickguard with a new hole either crafting a new pickguard. Allparts are only a fit for new ones, sometimes tilting the screw a bit would do the ticket (LS&LC). I see first chance in yours and it is ok....

Regarding bracket I also thougth about using a LS I have lying around but I want to go as original as possible. I will try your idea and see if it fiits nice to me...

I also have a Shed Daddys set here *gold covers and I agree they are louder than any other PAF style I own. Really good pickups.

I also agrre with you regarding What to look in my ES. As far as I have rock guitars I wanted jazzy sweet tones this time. A great player friend of mine playes it at high volume with old Marshalls and cabs and love it, he thougth it was great for Larry Carlton& John Scoffield kind of, he was not able to stop playing it. to ask him to record some tunes as I did with my Reborn and Love Rocks, it is amazing how every one has its own voice all really good, after trying and trying I guess I have such an amazing small Tokai collection.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ES guitars for rock stuff.....

Be Bop Deluxe recorded this tune back in the 70's with some blistering lead fills and solos by guitarist Bill Nelson - played on an ES345. No missing that tone.

Also check out the album art on this youtube link..... notice that guitar profile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ncakDidsww
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
On ES guitars for rock stuff.....

Be Bop Deluxe recorded this tune back in the 70's with some blistering lead fills and solos by guitarist Bill Nelson - played on an ES345. No missing that tone.

Also check out the album art on this youtube link..... notice that guitar profile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ncakDidsww

That link doesn't work over here Marcus but I'm very familiar with Bill Nelsons work! Axe Victim is a great album. He manages to make far out albums that are listenable. Great player!!
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new guard is fitted and looks like it grew there to me!

As you mentioned Luis.....the new ES158 guard doesn't fit and didn't match either of the two holes already in the guitar. So I had a choice of using a new Tokai one and having 3 holes in the guitar or using the Allparts one.

I couldn't live with making another hole in the pickguard to suit the holes in the guitar....it would have looked awful to me. At least the hole is now hidden.

It's as original as I need it to be. I tend to like functional guitars above anything else and I'm at that point now with this guitar.

I can't put it down!

Bracket glued to pickguard. That won't come off!

Fitted to guitar using one of the holes already there.

New pickguard fitted. As far as I am concerned the guitar is now complete!
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty fine!
duff
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, that's a beauty. I love those old es-100/150's!
I always thought the difference between es-150 and es-100 was the cashew lacquer and pickups. They feel the same and the horns look the same to me..

My cherry one:
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff! That is SO like mine!

The fading of the cherry is identical. You have a beautiful guitar mate.

Tell us more about it and show us more pics! Please!
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ES Duf, I do prefer natural an suburst but aged cherry fells vert nice!

I noticed you have original bracket, would you put some some neat pics for us? I am trying to find one fitting correct on mine.

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: