Love Rock for sale, what model could it be?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdstone

Reaction score
Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo a
What do you guys think about this? It's a music shop over here selling. Really not much info on what model it could be. From the serial nr I'd assume it to be a -09?

The tuners has been changed (prolly more than once due to all the screwholes), It got straplocks, and the bridge has been replaced "to a new one that's better" (no more info of that, or why it would be "better"). No info on the pups either, whether they're original or not.

They left a phone number for further questions, which I of course will try. Just want some input from you guys with more knowledge first. They want ~ 675 Euro.

I'm not really into the dimple headstock, and can't fathom why anyone would choose black tuners etc, but that's of course only aesthetic nitpicks (and tuners can be changed).

But I've been getting used to overprised MIJ LPs over here, without sellers even knowing what bloody model their selling ("Lawsuit era, beats every Gibson/Fender etc bla bla.."), so the price seemed kinda reasonable if it's a good Tokai LP. Esp. since its from a music shop from my own country for once..

But like with all MIJ guitars you need to know if it's a higher or lower model. I've learned reasonably enough to spot a good deal on Tokai strats (which eventually got me a nice TST80 for a great price), but LPs are a different jungle to me. Hence me asking for some imput here.

I had an 08 LS90Q (sold it just a week ago)...Looks almost identical to this

Tuners look a real mess....

I agree with funk. Quilted veneer MIJ model.

The tuners are horrible and the screw holes are an amateur hatchet job, but a good technician should be able to fill them in and make it look a bit tidier. You'll want to get rid of that horrible switch ring as well.

Do try to find out what the new bridge is. The pickups might well be new too. With so much work done it might be worth looking at the electronics as well.

The guitar is a LS90Q Violin Finish...UK model.

lol, you got to love it when someone changes the tuners on a MIJ Tokai, or even a MIC Tokai.

Have the nut filed/tweaked correctly, use some nut sauce in the slots and your Tokai will never go out of tune...yes that includes the G string. :)

The pickups look original, MK2s.
If the bridge was changed to a "better" one it would have brass saddles which I don't see in the photos...there's nothing wrong with the original bridge, it doesn't need to be changed.

Diamond said:
lol, you got to love it when someone changes the tuners on a MIJ Tokai, or even a MIC Tokai.

I agree it's not necessary for tuning stability but some of us just prefer the look, feel and general 'vibe' of Grover-type tuners.

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for a late response on my hand.

A couple of more questions; What kind of tuners were originally on this model? Kluson type or some sort of Grover type? I still can't understand why someone would chose frakking black tuners (or change them whatever; Like been mentionend, you don't need to change Tokai hardware).

And it seems that they've been changed more than once. Yeah, a butcher's hack-job indeed. But I could live with that if I got hold of original tuners for a reasonable ammount.

Diamond stated the model as LS90Q, which was great to learn. As I know very little of modern Tokai LPs, I have to ask: Is/was that a "basic" model in -09? How is the quality? As a Tokai fan I assume that it'd be a great LP compared to other LP models (like Gibbos *cough*)?

3rdstone said:
A couple of more questions; What kind of tuners were originally on this model? Kluson type or some sort of Grover type?

Gotoh Kluson tuners in Nickel. I believe the official product code is SD90.

It's possible that the butcher widened the holes to fit those monstrosities in which case you'd have to buy some conversion bushings in order to make the original Klusons fit, but these are cheap.

3rdstone said:
Diamond stated the model as LS90Q, which was great to learn. As I know very little of modern Tokai LPs, I have to ask: Is/was that a "basic" model in -09? How is the quality?

Mid range. Japanese build quality and good woods, but without the frills of the premium models. The top is real maple but the quilt is a veneer.

Latest posts

Back