Confused 1978 Greco Super Sounds Dilemma

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodyNose

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to the forum, but I love the Greco guitar. I can tell that a 1978 Greco can be an amazing guitar. I feel I lucked out with mine because the condition of the neck is sort of on the clean side, and the maple has this nice flaming on it that I don't seem to usually see on a 1978 Greco. It's not breath-taking flaming or anything, it's just shows a pretty, very above average maple compared to the anemic maple on my MIM 1998 Stratocaster I bought new.

Now, for the confusion part. I'd like to know if some sharp minds here can help me identify the control cavity/pickguard. I've already figured out that the neck, body, tuners, bridge and metal output jack are original 1978 products.

However, I immediately had suspicions about the pickguard, knobs, 5-way switch (and black) tip, pots, cap, wiring, and pickups. I had suspicions as to whether or not they were original to the guitar. The guitar sounded nice into the amp, but because I was so paranoid they weren't authentic '70s, I threw in 1974 Maxons in there, white colored, and now the sound is different (their output is 4.5K). But it's still good. The bridge pickup is twangy as hell, almost unusable, but when switched in/blended in with the middle pickup, the tone is really sweet. Here is a recording I just made of it: https://soundcloud.com/johns-music-2/3292017-jam

Anyhow, sorry for rambling. I'm just really obsessed with making this thing all 1970s - even if that means using parts from other guitar. For example, would a 1977 Fender pick-guard work on this body? And more specifically, do these knobs and pickups look like anything Greco? They seem really old considering the rust on the poles, but 1978? The two pole pieces in the middle are raised:

sssssss.jpg

IMG_8765.JPG

8.JPG.opt800x533o0%2C0s800x533.JPG

9.JPG

IMG_8733.JPG

IMG_8732.JPG

IMG_8731.JPG

IMG_8769.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Here's how the guitar looks now. By the way, is there ANY rhyme or reason to staggered pole pieces? The first ones had the two middle pieces raised, these ones have the b-string pole piece sunken in (??) and the pole pieces on my MIM go up like an arch to the middle and back down again. Any input here??? Thanks...

IMG_8768.JPG

IMG_8772.JPG

I know these are a ton of questions, but any good info will be seriously appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

The body is original 1978 I believe. The bridge is original. The body route, sen pattern and paint finish are consistent with a 1978 greco. Has an ancient looking sticker with a japanese charater printed on it in red that is so old looking I almost didn't see it.

BloodyNose said:

Hey, 2 of those bridge saddles appear to be upside-down!
Is that a new tone thing the kids are doing these days?
You probably did that to show the markings on it. :D
Anyway, nice guitar.

I'm curious to know if yours has the same body routing as my '78 SE500. Just because yours is from Feb. and mine is from Sept.

207tamg.jpg

Here is one from October as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-GRECO-SE500-SUPER-SOUNDS-STRATOCASTER-NATURAL-FUJIGEN-MADE-IN-JAPAN-/232288868934?hash=item36157eda46:g:ZBYAAOSwCU1Y3oJz

Latest posts

Back