Help identify this Silver Star

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1983 Microtilt SilverTokai Silverstar ,original unstamped Gotoh alnico pickups.Very nice too!

are these pickups worth keeping? How do they match the better pickups out there? Must admit I know nothing about Tokai's. The guitar itself is very nice to play

It also appears to be a take on the Silver Anniversary strat:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fender+silver+strat+anniversary&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjB8NjF0-fSAhUI3WMKHSlgBQEQ_AUIBygC&biw=1600&bih=770#imgrc=4EwnHth-jLySkM:

marcusnieman said:
bluejeannot said:
Probably a lot better built than the Fender too Marcus!

Without question!
NorCal60 said:
I've never been interested in CBS Fenders but I do like these Silver Star's.
Nice Strat!
I agree with the gentlemen above. Never owned a SS, but would'nt mind to have a sunburst SS with the pickguard etc plastic stuff all black. Like in the 70s. Then again, I'd also love to have a Hardpuncher bass with that look.

Hi all,

Indeed a very original SilverStar - even the stamps are correct.
These are the best budget Strat anywhere. They are relatively cheap to buy (when compared to a Springy) however have the same body wood, bridge and electrics as the Springy/Goldstar. Apart from pickups, saddles, machine heads and logo they are identical.
Neck shape is slightly thinner than ST-50 (41mm v 42mm) but weight,etc is identical at around 3.4kg.
I have personally owned 12 SilverStars and all of them are comparable to the Springys I have had. Best Years (to me) were from 1980 to 1983.
Slightly stagger the pickup placement for a better range of tone { screw the 6th string side of the pickup lower than the 1st string side}

Peter Mac

Microtilt does work well in Silver Stars whereas do not in 70s Fenders,it is effective really.

I owned 3 SS and all of them were very consistents and good sounding, because you cpould get them below 500 euro they were the first candidate to be the gigging musician guitars. Also they were ligth which is nearly impossible to find in mid-late 70s Fenders.

Back