Help with vintage Tokai Precision

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaiges

Reaction score
Hi mates.

I have just purchased the following Tokai, which is on its way to my home: https://www.guitarristas.info/anuncios/tokai-precision-bass-1981/598159

There are plenty of pics in the link. The bass has some issues and I'd like you to let me know if they are right for a 1981? Tokai. The previous owner tells me that he bought it from a shop in Japan. I think I would trust a Japanese shop.

The thing is that I can't find any basses with the same or similar BULLET NUT on the headstock. The decal is almost gone, though you can see the spaghetti "T" and the "i". The tuners are also different form the rest. The neckplate doesn't have any numbers, only "MADE IN JAPAN".

I don't know what to think but the audio files you'll find in the link are fantastic, in my opinion.

Just let me know think. Try not to be very hard, or you'll break my heart. :(

Thanks.

This bass is not a Tokai in my opinion.There were no Tokais with a Made in Japan neckplate or a bullet truss rod.

Here is the earliest Tokai catalogue. http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/78cat_p11.jpg

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume540.jpgAnd here is the 82 catalogue/In my opinion you have been sold an old MIJ bass faked to look like Tokai.sorry.

Pleas post some photographs of under the scratchplate and I might be able to tell you who made your bass.At the moment I am guessing its a 1970s Matsumoku.

Compare this with yours http://www.ebay.ph/itm/lt-SOG-gt-E00148-Tokai-hard-puncher-PB-matching-head-Rare-/301436056595?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Hi bluejeannot.

Thanks for your help, even though they are bad news. I also think I have been fooled like a child. I should have checked everything inside out. I fell in love with the sound of this Precision.

I'm afraid there's nothing under the scratchplate. :(

However, not everythings is bad news. The bass sounds awesome. It's the best sounding one I've ever have (I had some). The hardware is quite good. It has NOBLE pots, which I guess it's a good thing, and the pickups looks good quality.

Here are the pics I have just taken.

IMG_1313_zpsfue0araq.jpg

IMG_1314_zpsjfkpq0md.jpg

IMG_1310_zps0gq1p7fp.jpg

IMG_1316_zpszwuqw96t.jpg

You're right, but nothing else coincides with the rest of Tokais, not even the shape of the headstock.

To be honest, the overall feeling is that of a mid-range quality Japanese instrument: 4 kg, feels like a tank, quiet electronics, hardware is rusted but works very well (bridge and tuning pegs), resonant instrument, straight neck, etc. It's not a cheap copy, you can be sure it's a good bass. I've had Ibanez from that era and this one is as good as them.

Nothing on the butt of the neck, nothing on the back of the pickguard, nothing in the pot cavity. The only cavity I haven't inspected is the pickup one. I removed the pickups but I couldn't remove the metallic part at the bottom. I wouldn't dare to force it. Do you think it's worthwhile?

The bass hasn't been altered. All parts are original and no routings have been made.

Thanks for your help.

It is a very strange bass.Historically the only Fender bass with a bullet truss rod was the mid 70s Jazz bass,there never was a Fender PB with a bullet truss rod so what the heck were the people or person who made this bass attempting to copy?Also Noble pots are US made,all mid price Japanese copies of this era are fitted with Japanese electrics as it would be prohibitive financially to import those parts.Very ,very strange.the other weird thing is that I have NEVER seen a bass sized large Tokai aftermarket replacement logo.i have seen plenty of Tokai Springy replacements but nothing this size.Weirder than weird.

I completely agree with you, bluejeannot: very strange. I'm not 100% sure this is not a Tokai. It would be very weird to make a copy as good as the copy, it doesn't make sense. You would make copies of Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, etc. but not a copy of a copy. :eek:

In my opinion, the key to find the origin of this instrument is in the numbers and the Japanese letters on both the neck and the neck pocket.

Right now I'm lost.

It would be worth sending extensive photographs to Tokai including the Japanese lettering ,explaining that you are a member of this Forum and asking if they have any knowledge of this bass.My guess on manufacturing date would be about 1976.Tokais began Hard Puncher basses with the logo on your bass in 77/78 I think.Let us know how you get on with Tokai. Good luck!

Yes, we're at a dead end. I will contact both Tokai Japan and Tokai UK and see what they can tell us about it.

Thanks mate. I'll keep you informed.

Tokai UK are worse than useless,don`t waste your time with them.we know a LOT more about Tokais than they will ever know.

Latest posts

Back