Fernandes Super Grade (Pics and questions!)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twolf

Reaction score
G'day fellow guitar lovers!

Please allow me to introduce myself: My name is Thilo, I am 24 years old and started playing guitar 9 years ago. Guitars are my favourite hobby. I always taught myself as I always thought that I do not have to become the best player in the shortest amount of time possible. In the last year I started building my own effectspedals and amps as a sort of recreational compensation.

My first electric guitar was a Gibson SG: I remember going to the local guitar store aiming to buy a Squier Stratocaster. But as I saw this very special SG I knew I had to get her even though she exceeded my budget.

Since then I have stayed with SGs as I got myself a second Gibson. However, in the last years I realised that Gibson USA guitars are not of particular good build quality. They look good and some can be made into great guitars - but you are not guarenteed to get one out of the box.

This is why I started getting into japanese made guitars when I looked for my first Les Paul.

And finally, there she is: A Fernandes Super Grade.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

She looks and feels great. The sound is awesome (she is equipped with Gibson Burstbuckers though... there goes the quality ;) )

She was sold to me as a 1990 MIJ model ("The top model back then").
I do however feel that this is not correct. The original Pots very removed (therefore no date codes). Under the neck PU is a number that reads 31983. On the back of the headstock is a sticker that reads "Made In Japan". Except for a few dents on the upper body the overall condition is way too good for 26 years. She looks more like 2 years old.

Maybe someone on this forum can help me date and identify her.

Thanks in advance!

PS: At the moment I cannot take pictures myself. The ebay pictures are from the seller.
PPS: English is not my first language, I apologize for my mistakes

Welcome to the forum Thilo !!

I'm not too familiar with Burny/Fernandes guitars but that serial number starting with "3" with 5 digits in total should mean that it dates from a year with a "3". 1983, 1993 etc. The headstock "Fernandes" script should help date it to a certain period as well but alas i can't personally say as i don't have that knowledge. It looks like it is a fine example of a Les Paul no two ways about it. Does it have fret edge binding ??

Congrats on a beautiful LP !!!

marcusnieman said:
That's a beauty. Nice catch.
:)

-

Thank you, brokentoes!

The modified-bell shaped trussrod cover in combination with the serial should make her a 93 then, is that correct? I looked up the headstock script and found some infomation on Stratocasters but no pictures and nothing on Super Grades.

What exactly is a fret edge binding? Is this the term for the binding that extends upwards from the main binding like on Gibson guitars? In that case: Yes, it's there.

Tomorrow I'll try to get my hands on a good camera and take some pictures together with on of my SGs.

Latest posts

Back