Burny Les Paul 57' Junior Dating

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perregrintuk

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I purchased an awesome Piece of guitar history. It is a Burny Rock n' Roll Les Paul Junior 57'. One of my greatest findings ever in my opinion. I Love this resonant and screaming Piece of mahagoni! It weighs about 8 pounds, has a deep set neck, a great dark and thick rosewood Board, and an awesome neck profile, wide and fat. It feels just Great. The laquer is thin with wood grain sneaking through and nicely fainted. Bridge is a replacement from Faber (Made in Germany) Cap is a black beauty, PIO. The Tuners are stamped Greco. Serialnumber is stamped in the pickup cavity Reading 803030.

My question, could you help me dating it?

Here are some pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks magnificent !! Congrats on that. Just the kind of guitar i love.
Sorry i can`t help you with the date.

Looks like a 1988 LJ-55, the rock n roll versions came out in 1986 and ended 1993 I think, Burny serials usually have the year has as the first number so can only be 1988. If it still has the original pots you should be able to date it to the month of manufacture too.

Thank you very much.

It is indeed an outstanding guitar. I was a little bit worried in the first, but when I played it...jeeeesssus I tell you. Just incredible. Even compared to my Greco EG 59-85, which I thought was one of the best guitars ever. (an I played a lot of expensive guitars, trust me, a lot a lot...from Gibson Custom Shop to small boutique luthers)

And thank your for telling me at least the model and the range of production. 1988 sound great.

Do you have any idea, where I can get some catalogues from Burny?

Perregrintuk said:
Do you have any idea, where I can get some catalogues from Burny?

The catalogues are all here as pdf's, thankfully Fernandes have them going back as far as 1973.

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/catalog/

Do you mean some nitrocellulose? Actually I think they used the same "nitro" like a lot of the japanese manufacturers in the high quality range It is some kind of aging nitro which gets old and yellow (see me white Les Paul Junior) but actually don't gets the cracking as seen in Gibsons. My old Greco EG 59-85 has nitro which has the same feeling like the Burny. And in the high quality range, all of the guitars have very very thin lacquer.

LPjunior said:
Looks like a 1988 LJ-55, the rock n roll versions came out in 1986 and ended 1993 I think, Burny serials usually have the year has as the first number so can only be 1988. If it still has the original pots you should be able to date it to the month of manufacture too.

Not a serial, but date. March 3rd, 1988 for this one.

I have the '58 DC model, RLJ80-58.
I love this guitar and the neck is very comfortable. The only thing I change is the brigde because the stock one deserve the guitar.
I'm thinking about a P90 swap, possibly a Wolfetone or a Tyson Tone Lab.

Latest posts

Back