Tokai Custom Edition Super Strat guitar SD603

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabidbitch

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if it was possible to tell if this guitar I bought recently is a fake Tokai or not?

The reason I ask is because the text on the headstock seems poorly finished, I mean the worst finished I have ever seen! So this got me thinking that perhaps the guitar is a copy or fake. Please check the photos and see what you all think. I'll be gutted if it's a fake and probably contact the buyer again and may be even open a case with ebay about it.

But before anything like that probably best some of you experts cast your eye over some of these photos. You should be able to zoom in and see the poor logo on the head stock.

Never seen one of those Tokai's faked before myself so my first guess would be that it is real. Do you have any shots of the butt-end of the neck and what's under the hood ??

No I don't have shots of those areas. I'm due to change the strings as the ones that are on it are well dead. I can take a look then and photograph. What should I be looking for on the butt end of the neck? And what should I be looking for under the hood? If its fake it still plays really nice and sounds good too. I hope its legit.

Plenty of examples in this thread

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21283&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ok I read that thread, but now I'm confused. So it doesn't matter is numbers do not match on the body or butt of the neck?

How can we tell if it's a legit tokia then? Just by the way of numbers being on the body and the neck?

Yes legit Tokai's have those codes. I'd be very surprised if yours was not real..... but that's the proof you are looking for.

Well I got a code.

Could not be bothered removing the neck.

Also found this, which is slightly worrying. Does this look like it may give way at some point in the future? I have never saw a crack there before on a guitar. Very worried indeed.

I agree, that looks like more than just paint lifting. It's probably not in immediate danger as those screws go pretty deep, but I'd definitely get that looked at.

Thankfully it's in an area covered by the scratch plate so if a repair is necessary it won't show, and shouldn't need much of a finish touch-up.

Latest posts

Back