Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nitro, poly, lacquer..? I need to get that right

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rdstone
Guitar God

Location: Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo and IKEA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Nitro, poly, lacquer..? I need to get that right Reply with quote

I feel kinda stupid about this, but whatever. I thought I'd once learned the general basic differences between poly (simplified; a kind of synthetic, plastic/acrylic finish, right?), and nitro (simplified; nitro cellulose - a more organic, natural finish, right?).

But the term "lacquer" confuses me.

I used to think "nitro" and "lacquer" were just two names for the same finish. But it seems that there's more to it? If so, what's the difference?
LPjunior
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro is just a shortened version of nitrocellulose lacquer, the lacquer part just refers to the fact than the finish, in this case nitrocellulose, is dissolved/suspended in a solvent and after the solvent evaporates the finish is left behind. You can get acrylic laquers than are similar and the acrylic finish is suspended in water so less harmful than the solvents needed for nitrocellulose.

The poly finishes harden by a chemical reaction rather than the solvent just evaporating like they do in laqcuers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: