NGD Greco 1984 Phil Collen Signature - Kahler and Dryz

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whittlez

Reaction score
Excuse the smudges but I didn't feel like getting it all sparkly before I took photos. I was too busy PLAYING IT.

1984 Greco Phil Collen Signature model.

And of course it's Open "O" Mint Collection.

Ok, I have a few Grecos but none with DryZ. I've heard they are epic and I know they cost 20k yen in 1980 and it was their top tier pickup.

So when this Custom came up on my scans with a Kahler (another first for me), DryZ, and in phenomenal shape (the frets are great), I pounced!

This Kahler looks like you need an engineering degree to figure it out. I managed to discover how to lower the action, found the proper size allen wrench and lowered it to acceptable levels.

Man, these DryZ are awesome!!! I understand the hype. They definitely have a different character than Lovers, and they ROCK.

I haven't weighed this thing, but it is HEAVY.

The only thing missing, for a Custom (although it's a Signature model so it doesn't have to follow the Custom rules) is the Ebony board, but it seems like it takes an act of congress to find lawsuit era LP's with Ebony. Burny uses mostly Ebonized Rosewood in their customs and most of the Greco customs, even a relatively high tier one like this are Rosewood.

I guess I need an EGC-80!

I like the shiny metallic looking pickguard, very Sykes-like. I almost always remove pickguards, but this one is staying.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskusRqAP

Good eye Jacco. That is what they did on the John Sykes guitars as well based on his custom so it is probably original to the PK model too (which just seems to be the same as a JS guitar).

I've a stock JS55 Greco and it also has the alternate gold and silver polepieces. The JS98K, PC98K and EGC95K all came fitted with Dry 1982 pups so I'd be surprsied if it has Dry Z's and even more surprised if someone went to the trouble of switching the dry z polepieces too.

Only difference between the PC and JS models seems to be that they used the gold grover style tuners on the PC models rather than the silver grovers they used on all the various JS models. The EGC95K just had the gold tulip ones. They certainly got enough signature models out with the Kahler as they had the Randy Rhoads one too :)

Latest posts

Back