1978 Springy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suki

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-First-Year-Tokai-Springy-Sound-ST80-2T-Nitor-Hard-case-MIJ-Good-Condition-/391277316408?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

felixcatus said:
A rosewood board Springy, that's what I've been looking for for a while now.............tempting.

Like hen's teeth to find - particularly in that kind of shape. I think I paid about the same for mine.

I'm thinking it over. The thing is, we just completed (paid for) a major home renovation (finished Friday, bad timing :D ).

The missus probably ain't gonna understand..........ah, we'll see, I might be able to pull it off. :wink:

Had some good email communication with the seller, very helpful.
But shipping costs, import duty and taxes force up the price considerably, almost 40% extra.

Don't think it's gonna happen. :-?

Yes, by the time you get that in the EU that's an expensive guitar. And it looks great, but there's no guarantee you'll love it. I've never played a bad golden era MIJ, but not all are "special". I made the seller an offer too, but no response. I don't want to buy at a price where I'll take a bath if I have to sell.

Too bad that ST-80 on YJ at a BIN of 63,000 isn't much of a looker.

BrazenPicker said:
Yes, by the time you get that in the EU that's an expensive guitar. And it looks great, but there's no guarantee you'll love it. I've never played a bad golden era MIJ, but not all are "special". I made the seller an offer too, but no response. I don't want to buy at a price where I'll take a bath if I have to sell.

Indeed, wise words.

I was willing to pay the asking (fair) price. But not knowing if it suits me and (by the time I will have it in my hands) paying circa 40% extra, is too much of a risk.

No hurries, I'll patiently wait for the right (EU) one to show up. :wink:

Oh no, I'm beginning to sound like the Phantom here.......don't start to talk in third person.......don't start to talk in third person.......don't start to talk in third person! :eek: :D

My personal favorites, are the Esparto Strats. Most have nice medium-chunky C-profile necks and have nice boards. Also more resonant than the Tokai ST-80 with RW board that I had. But most are poly. I find the ST-80 necks a bit too small (combination of V-shape and medium neck depth), and the Greco SE-800 have stupid fat V-necks. It's all personal, but just mentioning that IMO people are overlooking the Esparto strats too much.

BrazenPicker said:
I find the ST-80 necks a bit too small (combination of V-shape and medium neck depth), and the Greco SE-800 have stupid fat V-necks. It's all personal, but just mentioning that IMO people are overlooking the Esparto strats too much.

The early TE/ST 80/100 V-neck shapes fit me well, hence the reason I'm looking for another Springy.

Yeah, it's all habit / preference I guess. I find the necks on my TE-80 and ST-80 definitely too thin, so I keep them in spite of that because I really like them otherwise.

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r136689731

Here's another one. Shame about the decal, but at a BIN of around 650 USD pretty reasonable.

marcusnieman said:
Happy wife, happy life. Perhaps she's so smitten with the renovation that she might let it happen?

Good call Marcus, missus is fine with it. She didn't even ask which one is gonna make room for the new one! 8)

Latest posts

Back