Do Orville use ebony fretboards on their LP customs??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffpowers

Reaction score
One of the bands at a recent gig I was playing at had a couple of orville les paul customs.

I had a quick go and I was impressed, and their owner sung their praises too.

I thought I might try and pick one up, but I was wondering if they used ebony for the fretboards as I know the tokai ls122c is rosewood.

Does anybody know??

Yes a few of the Orville models used ebony,

LPC85 Basically your bog standard orville LPC but ebony board,
57B was their top of the range Custom again ebony board, nibs 57 classic pups - only let down on those is this cheap plastic inlays, otherwise they're hard to fault. The Orville Joe Perry studio model also had an ebony board.

When they switched brands names to Epiphone in 1998 the Epi LPC90 model replaced the Orville LPC85 has an ebony board and are usually cheaper and easier to find so don't overlook them as they can go cheap just cos of the Epi logo. I picked up an LPC90 a little while back for under $200 on YJ and the quality of the MIJ EPi's easily matches the Orvilles I've had at a lot cheaper price. Epi also did a SG Gothic with an ebony board.

Got to say the ebony fujigen used on the ones I've had is very dark and smooth too. All mahogany bodies on the ebony boarded LPC's too .

Few days ago I missed a dead MINT ObG LPC with ebony board, nibs and all... and it was selling for exactly 1500€, here in EU.
I've been looking literally for ages for one like this and I missed it in front of my nose.
Bloody fool. :cry:

Should consider getting one direct from Japan vi digimart or YJ etc, they regulary sell for less than half that 1500 euros at source, plus they're not that rare in Japan.

Here's one that sold a little while back for a bargain 50,000 yen, obviously not mint but a 57B for around 400 euros has got to be a bargain even when you factor in proxy fees and maybe customs.

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c540559675

rrysq801-img450x600-1451296414pdzwut11730.jpg

Back