New Star??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbysox

Reaction score
A friend of mine came into a bunch of beat up acoustic guitars. i have decided to rescue some of them from the burn pile. one he just gave me says New Star on the head and the label inside reads
New Star
model NS 15
Yokai Gakki Co., LTD
Hamamatsu, Japan
made in Korea

Structurally it is in pretty decent shape. It only has one hole the size of a dime in the side. Can Anyone tell me something about this guitar? was it a bargain version, mid price..etc. where can I find the serial #? I tahnk you in advance for the info...

i can see why no one here is quick with a reply. i emailed the tokai factory and the person there had no idea about this model either. he requested pictures of the head, label and guitar. when i furnished these to him he told me he would pass the info to someone who has been with the company for a long time and knows more of their history. i will pass along what i find out so it is on record somewhere. i hope he can tell me a build date, etc.. and i hope it isnt some sort of counterfeit axe.... more to come

i get a reply back from tokai:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for the pictures.

I talked with the person who knows about old models.
There are remarks from him below.
-The model could be made in 1970's by our cooporative Korean factory.
-But they were spot-production, and not written on catalogue.
-The record about this model has already gone.(they were around 40 years
ago)

We are afraid that we cannot give you enough info about this model.

Best regards.

Tokai Gakki Co.Ltd.

my best guess is a mass marketer/chain store like k-mart approached tokai and asked them to make a guitar that they could sell for $XX. this happens a lot with power equipment and appliances. tokai sold them the standard ( or with some slight cost cutting changes ) korean model but changed the name on the head. thus it would not be in their ( tokai's ) catalog and is probably relitively unknown....but that doesnt make it rare or expensive. its just a korean tokai with a different name. and that is ok with me. i am sure this isnt the only instance of an off brand tokai...they were probably made for other distributors in several countries. at least now they are aware and there is a record of it.

Latest posts

Back