Anyone tried Dillion guitars?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrabows

Reaction score
I recently bought a Dillion DLP675 from a Canadian dealer. This model is not sold in the U.S. and according to the seller is of a better quality than those sold on the Dillion website based in the U.S. From what I know, they are built in Korea and have a great reputation.

My guitar teacher who owns a Gibson Les Paul Custom ( the guitar is at least 30 years old ), says it is the best copy he has ever seen and it blows the doors off of any Epiphone he has seen. I'm a pretty proud owner and he is now in search of one as a backup to his Gibson.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen them. Another dealer told me they are built in the same shop as the Tokais.

I own a DLP678, which is like your guitar, only with 2 P-90 pickups. It IS AN AWESOME GUITAR. The basic difference with the Gibson LP, aside from the headstock shape, is the space between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup trim. Mine also came from Canada, and have heard the same Tokai/Dillion production rumors. I emailed "John Dillion", who said he has not heard of this model, and only imports into USA. You might try the same questions about your guitar... I'd like to see what they say to you. Anyway, you have a very cool LP copy, and it's prolly every bit as good as a Korean Tokai, maybe the same thing. Enjoy it. (Also: My Everest ELP1000 looks to be the same guitar also...with a foto-flame burst.)

Hello Ram,

I emailed John Dillion and he replied. He told me that the 675 is not sold in the the US...it was for the Canadian market. There is only one Canadian Distributer (Active). One of the dealers I spoke to told me that Active only imports the best models that Dillion makes.

I am very happy with mine. I read a review of the Dillions on the lespaulforum website...and they ripped it. Said it was garbage. However I beg to differ and would say for the money it is a better guitar than the Epiphone's.

I have honestly looked, and looked, and looked for a defect of any kind in my Dillion, and can't find any. My buddy has a Korean Epiphone LP that is same color, but my guitar is lighter weight, thinner neck, and tighter inlays and neck joint. The stop-tail and tune-o-matic bridge are a little bit smaller than Gibson hardware, though. Seems like the LP production from Dillion might have gone to Viet Nam as the "V-Series", or something crazy like that. (You can see 'em on eBay...) If your Korean 675 is as good as my 678, you'll have a blast with it!
I think the body shape and specs are too close to American Gibson blueprints, so the ones imprted here have a weak looking rounded cut-a-way. Your's is much more a true Les Paul profile.
BTW: I almost bid on your guitar. If it wasn't for my happy home and wife...
:lol:

Mike has one last Dillion 675 on ebay.

This is identical to mine.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2534724567&category=38086

These are not the V-series from Viet Nam but the better ones from Korea.

If I could talk Mike into washing my clothes and fixing diners...
:eek:

I've only just starting playing (December) ...but I have a bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I recently purchased a Japanese Tokai Strat and have it hiding in my closet. I'm going to tell the wife it's my Christmas present !

If she found out I had bought the Dillion and the Tokai within 4 weeks of each other I'd be dead meat. But if I tell her I'm getting the Tokai for Christmas ...she'll be OK with it. I think I'll start talking about it in November.

I just hope she doesn't read this forum!!

My wife has dealt with my weakness for musical instruments for 23 years, and I'm sure she's about had it. I have begun a kitchen remodel, that must be completed before I can get back on the market for guitars again... But, like other beautiful items, I still like to look...
:roll:

rgrabows, Come out of the closet! Take the heat and start playing now! Do you know why a divorce costs so much? Because it's worth it! :wink: I feel your pain! My fist wife kept me from buying a hard tail strat on our honeymoon...I knew then we were doomed! As I tell all my friends "You don't make those mistakes when you marry the next one"! 8) After 22 years together and tons of gear[ most of it birthday, Christmas gifts from her] it all works out! I finished the full kitchen remodel last week, hung the new ceiling fan yesterday,deposited my full bonus check in the morning on the way to Lowes where I bought her a Dirt Devil Vision vacuum...so today I'm shopping on Ebay! :lol: Seriously, fess up and take the heat, tell her it's what you are, a Gear Freak and you need her understanding! www.ProFlowers.com to the office for NO REASON AT ALL a couple times a year makes her feel like the luckiest woman around :wink: And if you divorce all the woman at her office are standing in line hoping for a shot at being your next! I knew this wife was gonna be the one. My wedding gift from her was a Jetglo Rickenbacker 360 12, so I gave her a Vox AC 30! Well thats what I wanted to give her :p Good Luck my Afflicted Brother :wink:

Latest posts

Back