Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAD -Ibanez Tubescreamer amps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: NAD -Ibanez Tubescreamer amps Reply with quote

Anyone tried these amps? I just got the 5 watt version TSA5, like a Champ with 10" Celestion and a TS9 built in. It's a very handy little package and the tone is surprisingly warm and fat.

It's competing with the VHT Special 6 but is clean all the way with the TS9 providing the dirt, whereas the VHT boosts the preamp gain for overdriven sounds.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never tried one- i have a vht special 6, though (and also a fame tube 5, which is a glorified champion 600).

i'd heard it stayed clean all the way... not sure what the point is in that with a low watter, but i guess if you want cleans it's useful (plus higher wattage amps tend to be more expensive, so the "if you want cleans get a higher wattage amp" usual advice might not be possible). EDIT: also staying clean all the way might make it more useful for taking pedals.

I don't have a problem with headroom with my special 6, but then that's for really low home volumes.
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried the VHT special 6 but the video reviews on youtube give a really good account of it. I'm amazed how they can sell these so cheap.

I started with an itch for the tube screamer after seeing the Joyo clone for ?30 then I realised I don't have a tube amp any more, just Valvetronix and Mustang modellers. Then I saw the TSA5 at gear4music for the same price as an Ibanez TS9 pedal in the local shop so I thought it was a nobrainer.

On full clean volume there is just a tiny buzz from the power tube playing a low G note so I have ordered some tube dampers. Other than that I really like it. Still getting used to playing au naturel without reverb though.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the vht is pretty nice and really good value- however, they're a bit dark stock, and my first one was faulty

i also have the joyo tubescreamer clone (and a bunch of other joyos). not to say they're just as good and reliable as the boutique stuff... but for someone like me who's just playing at home (and who's not that much of a pedalhead anyway) i can get a whole pedalboard of pretty-good-sounding pedals for the cost of one boutique pedal.
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I wondered have you tried the joyo compressor? I think I will have to get one for slide guitar. Another joyo pedal I have my eye on is the Sweet Baby, it's a clone of an expensive mad professor pedal.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirrorboy wrote:
Dave, I wondered have you tried the joyo compressor? I think I will have to get one for slide guitar. Another joyo pedal I have my eye on is the Sweet Baby, it's a clone of an expensive mad professor pedal.

yep, tried both of those (only got the sweet baby yesterday, though, so i haven't tried it much).

the compressor seems fairly nice- i'm no compressor connoisseur, though, and rarely use compression

the sweet baby seems fairly nice, too, and fairly versatile.

if you're willing to buy from china, marcmart has a 50% off code if you buy a mooer pedal, too- and that applies to all pedals in your order (they stock joyo too). of course, it's slightly riskier than buying from the UK (or better yet, thomann, for the slightly cheaper prices and warranty). mine were fine, but obviously that's just luck of the draw kind of thing.
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, the mrs. is going to order a Behringer CL-9 from Amazon for my christmas stocking. It's supposed to be a clone of the Ibanez vintage compressor

cheers, Tom
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirrorboy wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, the mrs. is going to order a Behringer CL-9 from Amazon for my christmas stocking. It's supposed to be a clone of the Ibanez vintage compressor

cheers, Tom

The Joyo is really nice, very like a dynacomp, the Behringer is a bit rubbish IMO
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've talked me out of the CL9 so mrs. has ordered the Palmer
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think i'd heard the joyo was a dynacomp clone (or at least pretty close), never tried the original, though.
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, have you tried the joyo Roll Boost? It looks interesting for a one knob pedal.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope

i did pick up a mooer pure boost from marcmart in china (there's a code for 50% off, mooer132 or something like that) which is quite nice (though i know someone on another forum who got one which was noisy). it's an xotic rc boost clone. they also do an ac boost clone (as well as a load of other clones ).

that code works on other pedals in your cart too (they stock joyo as well), but i've managed to resist the temptation to get the roll boost. I don't really use/need clean boosts all that much- the xotic clones have a gain control too so you can (sorta) use them like an overdrive as well.
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa brought me the Palmer compressor today. It does exactly what I want and I won't be needing a boost pedal. This pedal sounds very clean and transparent yet it really packs a punch, the level knob has 22dB gain on tap! I'm glad John talked me out of getting the Behringer thing now.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirrorboy wrote:
Santa brought me the Palmer compressor today. It does exactly what I want and I won't be needing a boost pedal. This pedal sounds very clean and transparent yet it really packs a punch, the level knob has 22dB gain on tap! I'm glad John talked me out of getting the Behringer thing now.

You must have been a good boy this year Tom, Santa brought me nowt!
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, maybe santa thought, "what can I get for the man who has everything?"

Just bought a new Tube Amp Doctor 6V6 from NOS Tube Supply in New York for ?5 cheaper than ordering from the TAD website in Germany
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: