Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ST 40...what's it's top value...???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: ST 40...what's it's top value...??? Reply with quote

I've just bought an st 40 on ebay uk...

The thing is it was advertised as an ST50...it most definitely isn't a 50 though...it has the trapaziod tuners and flat pole pieces...

I paid ?405 and then shelled out ?35 in petrol to pick it up so in all it's set me back ?440...

The thing is that it is in museum condition...I mean absolutely mint...!!! It doesn't have a scratch or a mark on it...it looks brand new...for a 1984 guitar it's amazing...!!!

I'm wondering what what you guys think it's maximum value should really be...???

The thing is that the guy I bought it from imported it from Japan about 3 years ago and genuinely believed it was an ST50 but it looks like I've overpaid believing it was a different model...

I'm thinking of asking the Guy to give me ?40 back so I'm only out ?400...I saw an ST50 in worse condition go for ?510 last week and I would have gone up to ?500 for a mint ST 50...I think ?400 is probably ok for a guitar in the condition that mine is...and I do love it, sounds great and has fantastic sustain...not planning on selling it but looks like I did overpay through no fault of my own...
mojo hobo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the guitar is in mint condition as you say ,i would say ?350-?400 seems fair.
As for paying ?35 for petrol to pick that baby up,Shipping it to you within the uk would cost at least ?20-?25 ,i charge ? 25.00 for shipping a guitar in the uk,so thirty five quid is not far off.
Its a shame you did not consult or ask here before you brought it,really ,thats the most important point ,we are here to help and try to stop /avoid new buyers from being mislead or confused about future purchases.
I would be quite happy with a st-40 from 84,You could ask e-bay or take out a compliant against the seller ..Advertised as a st40,Item not described right !

I would just enjoy the guitar and forget about value...post some pictures for us !!!! please!!

MOJO HOBO
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest I've had it out with the seller and he assures me he was sold it as a 50 and he sold it in good faith as a 50...to be honest it is in such good condition it probably does rival most 50's out there apart form the pups...the burst is amazing and it's a very heavy guitar with immense sustain...as I said...it is in museum condition...there is not a scratch on this guitar...it looks as good as new...no buckle rash..no dings...no scratches ...nothing...as good as the day it was made...

It's 27 years old and an absolute beauty...I challenge anyone to find an ST 40 or 50 in the same condition...!!!

I tired to take some pics but I'll wait until tomorrow for natural light...

Never seen a guitar this old in this condition...it's like nos...totally amazing...

I know it hasn't got the pickups that the 50 had but it still sounds amazing...!!!!

CraigyJ
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshallmk1 wrote:

I know it hasn't got the pickups that the 50 had but it still sounds amazing...!!!!

CraigyJ

So what were you expecting and what did it come with? You made no mention. You feel you overpaid for it.... by how much? The difference between and ST40 and 50 would be negligible - certainly not worthy of "having it out" with the seller. Doesn't sound like he intentionally misrepresented the guitar.
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was expecting An ST50 with Staggered alnico pole pieces and got the st 40 with flat ceramics...I only found out the difference after I got it home...but I have to say the condition for me makes up for it...it's totally mint...not a scratch...would have loved the ST50 but a 40 in this condition and 27 years old..I think I'm happy...!!!
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshallmk1 wrote:
Well I was expecting An ST50 with Staggered alnico pole pieces and got the st 40 with flat ceramics...I only found out the difference after I got it home...but I have to say the condition for me makes up for it...it's totally mint...not a scratch...would have loved the ST50 but a 40 in this condition and 27 years old..I think I'm happy...!!!

Cool.... not all ceramic pickups are dogs.
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that this strat sounds bloody good...!!! I was planning on buying an ST50 and replacing the pups anyways...now I have most likely the best condition ST40 out there and it still sounds great...I don't think I've got a bargain but I think I got a whole load of strat for ?440...compared to a new Made in Mexico for a similar price I think I did ok...!!!
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All true.... looking forward to seeing pic's of this pup.
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I'll post some pics as soon as I get some good light...tis true that all ceramics are not dogs...to me this strat sounds better than any US standard right now...

I was worried that it was a 40 rather than a 50...but now I think I just dont care...it's 27 years old and in NOS condition....Love this strat...

I gotta admit that rather than an unplayed ST40 I have the best one out there...

It's funny...my brother owns the best LS200 out there...and no he wont sell it...and now I own the best ST 40...Long live tokai...!!!
mojo hobo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I argee with marcus the differences between a st-40 and a st-50 is just by a whisker,pretty much the same guitar,The pups and tuners if i recall correctly are the suspects.

If the seller sold it as a st-50 ,he really really believed it was a st-50 then fair enough!Not everyone knows about the registry .

Welcome to the tokai club...

MOJO HOBO
fury_dice
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned both (still got the 50) I concur with mojo hobo; the differences are the tuners - 'Deluxe' on the 50, chrome on the 40, pickups - ceramic on the 40 versus alnico VII(?) - and on mine at least, Tokai stamped saddles as opposed to Final Prospec on the 50. Apart from that, all the woodwork, electrics and hardware seemed identical.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all in agreement that the pickups are only a single component in the sum total of any guitar and it's tone.
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Pictures... Reply with quote

Best photo I could take...think it shows the condition pretty well...

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i429/Marshallmk1
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she's a looker allright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: