Hi New Early/Mid 80's Burny RLG-90 owner here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PosterBoy

Reaction score
Spent some time getting used to it as my other guitars are a Tele and Tyler Burning Water, I had a Gretsch PowerJet which I couldn't bond with so sold it.

I bought the Burny from Japanguitars.co.uk

I'm loving this guitar now I've adjusted to the scale and humbuckers, great neck. Biggest negative is it's not staying in tune particularly well.

So now I'm thinking of Mods

1) Tuners, for this guitar to be used anymore live it's needed.

2) I'm thinking of an RSworks wiring kit (how do people rate the Burny wiring?)

3) Maybe a pickup change, BK Rebel Yells or WCR American Steele again something to be researched more.

DSCF7998.jpg

Spent some time getting used to it as my other guitars are a Tele and Tyler Burning Water, I had a Gretsch PowerJet which I couldn't bond with so sold it.

I'm loving this guitar now I've adjusted to the scale and humbuckers, great neck. Biggest negative is it's not staying in tune particularly well.

3) Maybe a pickup change, BK Rebel Yells or WCR American Steele again something to be researched more.

Hi, I'm new here as well!

I almost bought your guitar from Japanguitars.com, but at the last minute I chose the Burny with a Gibson Humbucker in the bridge position instead.

Regarding the mods:

1)DO NOT change the tuners on this baby. They're perfectly good. Most people assume that vintage-style tuners can't stay in tune when they simply don't know how to re-string a Les Paul properly.

The process is vastly different than for a Tele for example.

Have a look at this video and you'll be happy with the stock tuners:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhdxCECcl4&feature=relmfu

If there's no improvement after this, you can try to lubricate the nut because strings may get stuck in there, causing lots of tuning problems.

2)Don't know about the RS kit. I'm satisfied with the Burny wiring, yet I converted it to 50s specs which gives you greater control of the Tone pot. I can also suggest replacing the crappy original capacitors by paper in oil or paper in wax caps. It made a huge difference to my Burny's tone for the better.

3)I changed my pickups for BK PG Blues. Awesome!

This is my RLG90:
P1020608.jpg

Thanks! :D

I'm looking to buy another one pretty soon. Haven't decided yet if it will be another Burny or an Orville by Gibson.
On one hand I would like something different, and on the other hand I would be pissed if the quality/Price ratio isn't the same on the ObG, and I can't try one before buying it.

PosterBoy said:

DSCF7998.jpg

do not replace the tuning pegs. just avoid excessive wounding of strings. wires are nice also...

Havent logged in for a while.. congrats. Nice one. My RLG-90 is my best sounding LP, I must say. It's not my overall #1 go-to, but it is #1 in pure tone. If you replace the pups, give me a shout, I will buy the stock ones from you.

Back