Blue speakers

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackspack

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone tried a celestion blue (or similar) in a 2x12? I have a THD cab, and was wondering about putting a blue in it. I imagine it would sound good, especially at just break-up, but its an expensive experiment?
J

jackspack said:
Hi, has anyone tried a celestion blue (or similar) in a 2x12? I have a THD cab, and was wondering about putting a blue in it. I imagine it would sound good, especially at just break-up, but its an expensive experiment?
J

I use 2 Celestion Golds in my 4 x 12 cab and they are verrrrry creamy

Thanks Jacco. I have heard those golds are amazing. Do they drive well? They are the same price (give or take) as the blues. I am not sure if there higher power handling makes them break up less easily?

jackspack said:
Thanks Jacco. I have heard those golds are amazing. Do they drive well? They are the same price (give or take) as the blues. I am not sure if there higher power handling makes them break up less easily?

Well yes, they break up later than Blues but only a little and just as easy, you just need to drive them a bit harder.
I chose the Golds over the Blues in a A/B test because the Golds have more clean headroom and still break up really nice.

Ok thanks, perfect information. What amp do you have? Mine is a univalve so 15w, but it does overdrive quite quick, not a lot of clean headroom, so sounds like the gold may be better. Only new ones on ebay, shame, but have a great guitar shop (hotrox) within a couple of hours and they have both in. Cheers for your thoughts
J

jackspack said:
Ok thanks, perfect information. What amp do you have? Mine is a univalve so 15w, but it does overdrive quite quick, not a lot of clean headroom, so sounds like the gold may be better. Only new ones on ebay, shame, but have a great guitar shop (hotrox) within a couple of hours and they have both in. Cheers for your thoughts
J

Interesting amp you have there J. I have hundreds of 50s/60s tubes lying around here and would love to experiment with that amp :D
What kind of power tube do you use? Maybe you could try a bigger bottle tube to get more headroom.

I use 2 heads simultaneously in a A/B or A+B config with my 4 x 12" cab. Each amp uses 2 speakers (Celestion Heritage 65 & Celestion Gold).
The heads are a Mojave Plexi45 with EL34s (45W) and a DrZ Maz18 Jr NR with EL84s (18W).

Let me know when your in Nottingham Jacco, bring a few tubes and I'll organise some music. Ha ha. Yes, its a cool amp. Just got a Mullard el34 and it's a different league from anything else I ever used. I have put a 5751 and an ECC82 as pre-amps (I think); it doesnt distort anywhere near as easily as with 12ax's. Just as it is it is sounding great.
I have heard lots about the Dr Maz, never played one though. Its a marshall type is it? Nice gear you have. The THD never really worked to my liking with single coils but does now.
I am swaying with the celestion gold, despite your recommendation. The cab is very good, I would just like to have an old style alnico in it at some point, just the cost, running a new speaker in time, and perhaps I am being stupid with the quest for the non-existent perfect noise. Who knows hey. Anyway, thanks for the replies
J

Latest posts

Back