What size is a stock screw on the end STRAP BUTTON of a OBG?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkstylez

Reaction score
I just bought a set of Straplocks to put on my oBG. When I found that the screw supplied with the Straplock was smaller, I thought about plugging the holes to accomodate it, but I didn't want to modify the guitar. Also, I figure that Gibson used a larger screw for a reason.

So i want to buy a second set of screws identical to the originals and make those fit inside the straplocks. As a result of this my straplock buttons will be mounted as solid as a rock, and I can restore my guitars back to original condition if desired.

According to a search, the stock screw on the end strap button of a Les Paul is an #8 x 1-1/2" flat head screw. The screw that comes with the Straplocks i ordered is a #6 x 1-1/2" flathead.

Is the same true of OBG reissues (#8 x 1-1/2" flat head screw?)
I live in Europe, and we use different measurements / names for screws.

Here's what i plan on doing with the spare screws:

The first thing I did was drill out the hole in the Straplock button to 11/64". This allows the larger #8 screw to pass through. Next, it's necessary to shave down the diameter of the head of the screw so that it fits the counterbore of the button. I did this by chucking the screw in a drill press, then grinding down the head diameter with a Dremel tool while the part is spinning. You could accomplish the same thing by chucking the screw in a hand drill and reducing the head diameter a bench grinder.

Thanks in advance

Here's a picture from someone modding their (Gibson) Les Paul straplocks / strap button screw that perhaps best illustrates what i want to do with my OBG.

straplocks17pn.jpg

Basically i need to know if ObG 59 RI screws are identical (size etc) to the ones in the picture above.

Latest posts

Back