Another newbie asking for info

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricky9999

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just joined the forum after receiving the link to this site in a nice reply from Maree at Japanese Vintage Guitars.

I've had a quick look around and there are some amazing collections here - very impressive!

I'm looking for some information about my Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom which I bought about 18 months ago. I must confess to being more of an acoustic guitarist, so I've never really got attached to this guitar, despite the fact that I think it looks great and plays really well - therefore, I'm thinking of trading it in for something extravagant, as I've never really had a top notch acoustic before. Having said that, Maree from JVG said some encouraging things about the look of my guitar that have actually given me pause for thought as to whether I will sell it. Maybe I should start getting to know it better instead!

I hope you'll forgive me if I just ask what you think about this guitar, and what you think I may realistically expect to receive as a trade (or to sell) if I do go down that route so I don't get stung.

So, onto a description - the guitar is an Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom, honeyburst quilt. I'm really unsure as to what pick-ups it has, or any other of the technicalities although it doesn't seem to have any fret edge binding. The serial number is G207592.

I'd appreciate it if one of you afficionados out there could have a look for me and give me some feedback. Here are some uploaded photos, so I hope you like it! Many thanks.

http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/tricky9999/Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom/

great looking guitar.
unusual top for custom (it's not a reissue).
and seems to be in awesome shape.

Thanks for the response Princess-Isabela. Have you any idea what would be a reasonable price to pay for one of these guitars?

Any other comments from other users would be really appreciated. Thanks.

tricky9999 said:
Thanks for the response Princess-Isabela. Have you any idea what would be a reasonable price to pay for one of these guitars?

Any other comments from other users would be really appreciated. Thanks.

over a thousand dollars for sure,
it would help you to know what kind of pickups does it have(you can check bottom of the pups as well as cavities, you can post pictures).
that will definitely help you.

Thanks again Princess Isabela - much appreciated. I think I bought it for ?500 Sterling, so round about right.

Nobody else got an opinion? The thread got 200+ views but only one reply - that wasn't quite the response I hoped for! :wink:

If anybody is interested in buying this guitar, I would certainly be open to offers. As mentioned I'm more of an acoustic buff and would much prefer to let somebody who will appreciate this guitar properly own it.

Thanks

At ?500 you got your self a bargin, thats about the going rate for an Orville in the UK an OBG should fetch you around the ?800 mark
yours is a terada made OBG and like Princess Issy I have not seen a top like that on a custom but there are a few different variations on OBG customs and like a lot of MIJ guitars im sure Orville would have done some shop orders

Thanks for the response barburny - I definitely think it is about time I downgraded this guitar. I only use it for the occasional bit when recording on my eight track, and I'll always be more comfortable playing my acoustic. It's rather an expensive wall hanging!

When you decide to sell it, make sure that you take lots of pictures. Remove all cavity covers, remove the pickups and take pictures of the pickup cavities as well. It is a fairly scarse Custom, I have not seen one like this in a while. Good luck :D

Okay then - terrible photography (bad flash reflections) but should give a good idea of what the guitar looks like, pups and cavities, etc.

http://photobucket.com/custom_pics

Back